Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win a few games and it’s open warfare.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Flakey, you say? Like flakey pastry? Like the flakey pastry on a sausage roll?

I want a sausage roll now you *******. (For the avoidance of doubt, 'bástard'.)
    Greggs? Has to be a steak bake imo.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

AFTV's raison d'etre vanished with the passing of Wenger
    Now that harmony reigns , they've had to resort to cheap stunts to get the clicks
    Their shelf life's ticking away
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Some chap - I use the term loosely - in the Times suggested that so far under Unai we have been a bit of a fraud or more succinctly, we've been very lucky and our comeuppance cannot be far away.

This got me thinking about this run of victories not one of which could really be described as overwhelming. And yet 7 wins in a row surely is enough that it must be reflective of something? Not being sad enough to have seen every minute of every game I am unable to provide a tactical insight (apologies, I know how all of you were desperately waiting for one from me) however I have several observations:

1) Unai pulls players who are playing sh1t (usually Ramsey) and replaces them with players who might make a difference. Do you think Wenger would have pulled Ramsey for Iwobi who then changed the match? I don't, and replacing players who are ineffective with those who might win you the game is bound to have an impact. I'm sure several of our wins have been influenced by Unai's substitutions.

2) We continue to look far too open at the back - less so when Torreira plays but even his presence doesn't completely resolve the issue - yet we don't seem to be punished as much as we were in the past. Cech's form and Leno's performance on Saturday is one explanation but is that the only reason? How about Sokratis as well? How about midfielders getting back to help recover bad situations more than they did under Wenger?

I'll leave that second one to those who have watched more than I. I have seen several journos now won over by Unai and waxing prophetic on his influence even though it's hard to reconcile that to the actual performances. Perhaps we have just been lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Some chap - I use the term loosely - in the Times suggested that so far under Unai we have been a bit of a fraud or more succinctly, we've been very lucky and our comeuppance cannot be far away.

This got me thinking about this run of victories not one of which could really be described as overwhelming. And yet 7 wins in a row surely is enough that it must be reflective of something? Not being sad enough to have seen every minute of every game I am unable to provide a tactical insight (apologies, I know how all of you were desperately waiting for one from me) however I have several observations:

1) Unai pulls players who are playing sh1t (usually Ramsey) and replaces them with players who might make a difference. Do you think Wenger would have pulled Ramsey for Iwobi who then changed the match? I don't, and replacing players who are ineffective with those who might win you the game is bound to have an impact. I'm sure several of our wins have been influenced by Unai's substitutions.

2) We continue to look far too open at the back - less so when Torreira plays but even his presence doesn't completely resolve the issue - yet we don't seem to be punished as much as we were in the past. Cech's form and Leno's performance on Saturday is one explanation but is that the only reason? How about Sokratis as well? How about midfielders getting back to help recover bad situations more than they did under Wenger?

I'll leave that second one to those who have watched more than I. I have seen several journos now won over by Unai and waxing prophetic on his influence even though it's hard to reconcile that to the actual performances. Perhaps we have just been lucky?
    3. With the exception of the Chelsea match, we're taking the majority of our chances and/or producing high quality moments

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    3. With the exception of the Chelsea match, we're taking the majority of our chances and/or producing high quality moments
    Wenger hasn't watched any of our games and has been filling his time painting instead

Someone is going to find him in his car with a hosepipe attached to the exhaust, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Wenger hasn't watched any of our games and has been filling his time painting instead

Someone is going to find him in his car with a hosepipe attached to the exhaust, aren't they?
    He'd probably try it in an electric car...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”