Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 years ago today our great grandfathers were commencing the final advance at

100 years ago today our great grandfathers were commencing the final advance at

Flanders, heralding the beginning of the end of one of the stupidest wars in modern history.

Glorious dead my arse

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Flanders, heralding the beginning of the end of one of the stupidest wars in modern history.

Glorious dead my arse
    Surely there is glory in doing one's duty? When King and country call, decent chaps rally to the Colours. This is what we like to call 'honour'.

Of course, lefties will never understand because you're all lazy cowards and instinctively hate your own country.

No offence, like.

To be fair, berni once admitted to me that he would not die for the Colours, so it seems the Irish are just as bad as lefties.

Glorious dead my arse
    It wasn't a stupid war at all. The alternative was allowing an autocratic and highly militaristic German regime to have hegemony over continental Europe.

They weren't a nice bunch, p. They had to be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Surely there is glory in doing one's duty? When King and country call, decent chaps rally to the Colours. This is what we like to call 'honour'.

Of course, lefties will never understand because you're all lazy cowards and instinctively hate your own country.

No offence, like.

To be fair, berni once admitted to me that he would not die for the Colours, so it seems the Irish are just as bad as lefties.
    No, I dont think there is a great deal of glory in being blown to bits in a field. A notion such as honour serves its purpose in persuading young working class men to submit to slaughter as an alternative to being shot for running away.

I dont belittle the sacrifice, or the bravery of individuals. I do shrink from describing it as glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It wasn't a stupid war at all. The alternative was allowing an autocratic and highly militaristic German regime to have hegemony over continental Europe.

They weren't a nice bunch, p. They had to be stopped.
    It was a very stupid war indeed and a serious failure in diplomacy.

The second lot, now that was a proper war, with a proper bad dude.

Glorious dead my arse
    Mine certainly weren't

It was a very stupid war indeed and a serious failure in diplomacy.

The second lot, now that was a proper war, with a proper bad dude.
    If you don't think the krauts were a bad lot, I suggest you take a look at their behaviour whenever they were occupying enemy territory - not to mention their behaviour in South West Africa.

A kraut is a kraut is a kraut, p. There are only gradations in their awfulness and untrustworthiness.

No, I dont think there is a great deal of glory in being blown to bits in a field. A notion such as honour serves its purpose in persuading young working class men to submit to slaughter as an alternative to being shot for running away.

I dont belittle the sacrifice, or the bravery of individuals. I do shrink from describing it as glorious.
    Soldiers don't not run away because of honour, p. They don't run away because of their sense of duty to their comrades.

You realise that whilst 'young working class men' made up the majority of front line troops, it was public school chaps who suffered far the greatest number of casualties, do you?

The reason we are in the absolute state we are in is that the Great War claimed the lives of the bulk of decent young men and left us with an overwhelming preponderance of the weak, the sickly, the mentally feeble - to whom I believe you refer as 'the working classes'.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Soldiers don't not run away because of honour, p. They don't run away because of their sense of duty to their comrades.
    That may well be true of actual soldiers. I suspect it is far less true of conscripts.