Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A year today since I enjoyed a sweet, sweet fag.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The nicotine addiction's gone in two days. Everything else is habit.
    I think two days is a bit rich. I am sure it was more like four when I stopped.

After that, you are correct, it is merely habit. Triggers wired into your brain telling you 'now just have fag, then do that'.

If you are still craving a fag after a year then you haven't done your job in re-wiring the brain.

It took me two weeks to stop wanting one and a full year to start smoking again

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think two days is a bit rich. I am sure it was more like four when I stopped.

After that, you are correct, it is merely habit. Triggers wired into your brain telling you 'now just have fag, then do that'.

If you are still craving a fag after a year then you haven't done your job in re-wiring the brain.

It took me two weeks to stop wanting one and a full year to start smoking again

Oh, I went back to them after eight years, which must be some sort of record. I was so convinced I'd cracked it, I thought I could pick them up and put them down again with no difficulty. Took me another two years or so to knock them on the head for good.

Oh, I went back to them after eight years, which must be some sort of record. I was so convinced I'd cracked it, I thought I could pick them up and put them down again with no difficulty. Took me another two years or so to knock them on the head for good.
    Exactly what I did after a year. I hadn't wanted one in any way whatsoever and was utterly convinced that I had it whipped. I stupidly agreed to have one in the pub. Had another one the following week, a couple the following midweek. Then I had to have one while watching the conclusion of a test series in Sri Lanka...took me a month to accept I was a smoker again. Have been on them ever since.

Giving up was too easy. Next time I will know you can never, ever have another one.

I managed to give up the Colombian, I am sure I can give up the fags.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Exactly what I did after a year. I hadn't wanted one in any way whatsoever and was utterly convinced that I had it whipped. I stupidly agreed to have one in the pub. Had another one the following week, a couple the following midweek. Then I had to have one while watching the conclusion of a test series in Sri Lanka...took me a month to accept I was a smoker again. Have been on them ever since.

Giving up was too easy. Next time I will know you can never, ever have another one.

I managed to give up the Colombian, I am sure I can give up the fags.
    I was able to have the odd one after giving up, but only under strict rules, namely:

1/ Only smoke when drunk
    2/ Only smoke other people's
    3/ Never - EVER - buy cigarettes or have them around the house.

I was able to have the odd one after giving up, but only under strict rules, namely:

1/ Only smoke when drunk
    2/ Only smoke other people's
    3/ Never - EVER - buy cigarettes or have them around the house.
    I started by adopting those rules but I am rulebreaker at heart