Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...the Labour Party Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Well, we could start with 'being best mates with an organisation whose charter commits it to the task of killing all the jews', move on to supporting the depiction of jews as evil, grasping bankers, or his refusal to address Livingstone's bizarre 'Hitler was a Zionist' theories, and move on from there.
    Andrew Marr asked him several times if he would have attended the ceremony had he known that Black September terrorists were being honoured. All he had to do was say no and the issue would have been resolved.

He couldn’t bring himself to do it.

No, I like to listen to my Macintyres. It's in the queue.
    Who was the author you mentioned the other week - wrote detective novels set in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It was not proven to be *******s. There wasn't enough hard evidence to win a libel case. Those are two very, very different things.

Bob Maxwell won loads of libel cases. Presumably you think he was whiter than white, too?

The allegation was based on the testimony of a KGB colonel who had seen the KGB files on Foot and whose intelligence was impeccable in every single other regard. Why would he lie about Foot all of a sudden?
    You said they were not unproven. THey bloody well were and a court, at the very least, declared them so.

I didnt say he lied about Foot but it is good to see that you have such faith in the validity and accuracy of KGB files. I am sure Ash would be proud of you

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Who was the author you mentioned the other week - wrote detective novels set in Germany?
    Bernie Gunther? The author is Philip Kerr.

Exactly. All a misunderstanding, I'm sure.

If any of them had been any good at cricket you can be sure we'd have kept them.
    As I say, political capital. Our dear Prime Minister had a difficult time at the Home Office. She has managed to find herself in the right place at the wrong time twice now

Bernie Gunther? The author is Philip Kerr.
    That's the one - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    That's the one - thanks
    I wonder if they've been translated into German? Reading them in German would add to the ambience, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You said they were not unproven. THey bloody well were and a court, at the very least, declared them so.

I didnt say he lied about Foot but it is good to see that you have such faith in the validity and accuracy of KGB files. I am sure Ash would be proud of you
    Oh, KGB files could be inaccurate, certainly, but I have total faith in Gordievsky's word and he not only saw the files, he was friends with Foot's case officer, who told him this stuff as well.

Interestingly, Macintyre lets Foot off the hook by saying he didn't impart any state secrets (because he didn't know any) and probably would have been shocked that the KGB had him listed as an agent. He also thinks the money given to him was probably spent propping Tribune up financially. He mostly seems to have told his handler about internal Labour politics and the Trade Union movement (not that they'd have needed to know much about that, given that Jack Jones was a paid KGB agent).

Nonetheless, he knowingly gave information to and took money from an enemy power at a time when we were in an effective state of undeclared war with them. I'd have hanged the scruffy old cùnt.
    Last edited by Burney; 09-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Well, either they were British, or they weren't. I'm pretty sure that these matters are governed by some legal definition, rather than the opinion of the Home Secretary or a civil servant.
    Hang on. I thought some of these people were denied on the grounds of criminality ?
    Lammy and Co are hopping mad about it.
    Personally, if it's proven these people were indeed scumballs, I have no issue with the Governments decision to f*ck them off out the window.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...or-citizenship

Oh, KGB files could be inaccurate, certainly, but I have total faith in Gordievsky's word and he not only saw the files, he was friends with Foot's case officer, who told him this stuff as well.

Interestingly, Macintyre lets Foot off the hook by saying he didn't impart any state secrets (because he didn't know any) and probably would have been shocked that the KGB had him listed as an agent. He also thinks the money given to him was probably spent propping Tribune up financially. He mostly seems to have told his handler about internal Labour politics and the Trade Union movement (not that they'd have needed to know much about that, given that Jack Jones was a paid KGB agent).

Nonetheless, he knowingly gave information to and took money from an enemy power at a time when we were in an effective state of undeclared war with them. I'd have hanged the scruffy old cùnt.
    An effective state of undeclared war.... or in other words, not at war

Just for the record, I dont believe a ****ing word of it.