Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And the winner of the Swedish election is......

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Wow. Do you really believe that?

You think this means political realignment across the board; a new and profound democracy for Britain?

****ing hell.....
    Certainly something's got to give.

I think we have two main parties currently in conditions of profound civil war and in which massive ideological differences - far beyond those covered by the notion of a broad church - are apparent. Our party system has been shown by Brexit to be woefully unfit for purpose and many MPs have been shown to be hopelessly at odds with their constituents.

I think anyone who thinks this is all going to go away on March 29th is kidding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Certainly something's got to give.

I think we have two main parties currently in conditions of profound civil war and in which massive ideological differences - far beyond those covered by the notion of a broad church - are apparent. Our party system has been shown by Brexit to be woefully unfit for purpose and many MPs have been shown to be hopelessly at odds with their constituents.

I think anyone who thinks this is all going to go away on March 29th is kidding themselves.
    Obviously it wont disappear on 29 March. Over time, as the ramifications settle and the reality is cast in stone the political elite will slowly close ranks and return to normality. We have seen 'tidal changes' over the decades but it is around a century since the political landscape changed for good, when the Liberal Party disintegrated following the Great War. Since then no manner of chaos or crisis has left a permanent mark on the overall climate- two parties fighting over a narrow piece of political land and filled with the chosen and trained elite, with a few strays let in to provide the illusion of openness.

Even the perpetual crises of the 70s served only to shift the Conservative Party to the right for a decade and the Labour Party to the left for even less. By the start of the 90s a new consensus emerged and both shifted naturally back to either side of the centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The question being whether that result will force the other parties to adopt more right-wing policies or whether they will simply carry on blithely wrecking the country?
    Yes, you little Hitler, we know what you'd like. You know, the interesting thing is that if there's anyone who actually has a solid connection to the Nazis, it's me. Oh yes, I'm related to Hermann Goering. On my Mom's side. Always liked this pic. As he gets older he looks like the fat queen he probably was.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-he...-68832487.html