Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There are loads of hops growing wild near where I live. This has led me to consider

There are loads of hops growing wild near where I live. This has led me to consider

the making of bitter. This in turn has led me to the realisation that I've literally no idea how one goes about making beer.

Anyone have any idea where one starts?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    the making of bitter. This in turn has led me to the realisation that I've literally no idea how one goes about making beer.

Bloke in our office has now set up his own brewery, cut his days at work to 3 and looks like he will go full time with it in the New year..... but i don't have a clue where to start
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

It was a popular pastime in the 1970s, brewing your own beer. I had a friend whose family business was making and selling kits to do it. They made a fortune for a while, expanded rapidly, and then the whole thing collapsed around their ears. I suspect you can still buy a kit, though. (It's going to taste like liquid sewage.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It was a popular pastime in the 1970s, brewing your own beer. I had a friend whose family business was making and selling kits to do it. They made a fortune for a while, expanded rapidly, and then the whole thing collapsed around their ears. I suspect you can still buy a kit, though. (It's going to taste like liquid sewage.)
    Caxton's homebrew kits were it not?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Caxton's homebrew kits were it not?
    Dunno. They were sold in Boots, I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I don't want one of these homebrew kits that make it easy. I want to do it from scratch.

The only problem is space. I currently have about six gallons of cider doing its thing in the utility room. I may have to adapt the wânking shed.

You will imagine your bitter tastes fine. Everyone else will find it rank. Dad used

I don't want one of these homebrew kits that make it easy. I want to do it from scratch.

The only problem is space. I currently have about six gallons of cider doing its thing in the utility room. I may have to adapt the wânking shed.
    to brew his own in the 70's. Practically undrinkable and produced a hangover like one's skull had been brutally cleft by a medieval axe.

Yup.

Walk into the Shamley Green shop, pick up 4 cans of Budweiser and 4 cans of whatever strikes me i.e. San Miguel, Fosters etc, pay for it, take it home, drink it.

Job done.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yup.

Walk into the Shamley Green shop, pick up 4 cans of Budweiser and 4 cans of whatever strikes me i.e. San Miguel, Fosters etc, pay for it, take it home, drink it.

Job done.
    I think they are talking proper beer here, not ****ty lager
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yup.

Job done.
    You would drink Budweiser and/or Fosters?

Even Northampton brewed San Miguel is borderline...

FFS
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”