Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: I had a walk around my old neighbourhood in Palmers Green yesterday evening

  1. #1

    I had a walk around my old neighbourhood in Palmers Green yesterday evening

    It ****ing sucks.

    Cycle paths everywhere, all the old greek and turkish shops are a Sainsbury's Express or some other ****e. My old boozer is a Holland and Barrett. Signs everywhere threatening you if stub a fag out on the floor.

    They can ****ing shove it. The modern era is a piece of ****....

    I might be getting a bit old

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It ****ing sucks.

    Cycle paths everywhere, all the old greek and turkish shops are a Sainsbury's Express or some other ****e. My old boozer is a Holland and Barrett. Signs everywhere threatening you if stub a fag out on the floor.

    They can ****ing shove it. The modern era is a piece of ****....

    I might be getting a bit old
    73 years of socialism, see?

    Ban it or tax it, that's the extent of second half 20th / early part 21st century political thought.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It ****ing sucks.

    Cycle paths everywhere, all the old greek and turkish shops are a Sainsbury's Express or some other ****e. My old boozer is a Holland and Barrett. Signs everywhere threatening you if stub a fag out on the floor.

    They can ****ing shove it. The modern era is a piece of ****....

    I might be getting a bit old
    I wouldn't go back to my old neighbourhood without a police escort these days. Shame, it was a lovely place to grow up.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I wouldn't go back to my old neighbourhood without a police escort these days. Shame, it was a lovely place to grow up.
    THis feels almost the opposite. It feels sanitised, stripped of its character. Bland....

    Camden is a tourist trap. Nothing is sacred. I am bloody glad I'm old. I feel sorry for the youngsters growing up with this dull ****e.

  5. #5
    Senior Member IUFG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Mobius
    Posts
    7,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I wouldn't go back to my old neighbourhood without a police escort these days. Shame, it was a lovely place to grow up.
    Strange innit. You'd happily hang around the streets at night back then.

    Nowadays I'd be reluctant to go back to my old stomping ground in a cab, after dark, in case it stopped at some traffic lights.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    73 years of socialism, see?

    Ban it or tax it, that's the extent of second half 20th / early part 21st century political thought.
    It's PC gone mad. Cycle paths on a pavement FFS. How are you supposed to stumble along the pavement pissed out of your face?

    Ridiculous.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I wouldn't go back to my old neighbourhood without a police escort these days. Shame, it was a lovely place to grow up.
    I got mugged in broad daylight in Thornton Heath in 1978.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I got mugged in broad daylight in Thornton Heath in 1978.
    Really? Whereabouts? Was it near Selhurst Park?

    Must admit, I thought it a veritable idyll as a kid..

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Strange innit. You'd happily hang around the streets at night back then.

    Nowadays I'd be reluctant to go back to my old stomping ground in a cab, after dark, in case it stopped at some traffic lights.
    It's odd, because in terms of casual violence at least, those were actually much more violent times. However, we're much more sensitised to the threat of violence these days and thus perceive it everywhere in a way we didn't then.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Really? Whereabouts? Was it near Selhurst Park?

    Must admit, I thought it a veritable idyll as a kid..
    Down my auntie's road. Damned if I can remember the name of it. Sandringham Road?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •