Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: This time next week we’ll know the outcome of the Swedish general

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You raise a good point here. Food is a great way for cultures to integrate and appreciate each other.

The problem with your proper muslim is that they have rocked up in a country that is built on pub culture. If you dont have a beer, nobody is going to trust you or take you seriously.
    They don't sell alcohol "on religious grounds" but you can take your own booze.

Win-Win, as they say, imo.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    They don't sell alcohol "on religious grounds" but you can take your own booze.

Win-Win, as they say, imo.
    I cant think of a single indian restaurant (and they are all Bangladeshi owned) that doesnt sell booze.

Of course I know there are some, I just cant think of any that I know.

It kind of depends. For example, if we were looking at importing half a million people from a lost amazonian tribe who had never met other humans before it would be reasonable to raise concerns about their ability to integrate.

If you objected to people from Trinidad coming because you don't like blacks then it would probably be considered racist (and quite ignorant, given the size of their asian population).

In the middle ground, it kind of depends what your objection is. If it is integration, it is probably legitimate. If it is sheer numbers and concentration, the same. If it is religion, its questionable and if it is purely skin colour, and nothing else, then its racist.

THe problem is your objection is likely to be a mix of different issues. Its best to just put up with it and trust your government to make the right decisions.
    Yeah, we've done that and the government has signally failed to make the right decisions.

I would agree that skin colour is no reason to object to an immigrant group. But that ignores the fact that skin colour tends to go hand in hand with all these other things. This is why so few people have an issue with - say - Polish immigration. Not because of their skin colour, but because their Christian, European, post-enlightenment cultural outlook makes it relatively easy for them to integrate into our society. The same cannot be said for a Kashmiri muslim.
    I would disagree that religion is a questionable ground for objection - simply because it informs culture and thus the ability to integrate to such a huge extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yeah, we've done that and the government has signally failed to make the right decisions.

I would agree that skin colour is no reason to object to an immigrant group. But that ignores the fact that skin colour tends to go hand in hand with all these other things. This is why so few people have an issue with - say - Polish immigration. Not because of their skin colour, but because their Christian, European, post-enlightenment cultural outlook makes it relatively easy for them to integrate into our society. The same cannot be said for a Kashmiri muslim.
    I would disagree that religion is a questionable ground for objection - simply because it informs culture and thus the ability to integrate to such a huge extent.
    Skin colour can be a valid issue, though. Consider the pasty, doughy complexion of the paddy. Is this not reason enough to despise him?

You raise a good point here. Food is a great way for cultures to integrate and appreciate each other.

The problem with your proper muslim is that they have rocked up in a country that is built on pub culture. If you dont have a beer, nobody is going to trust you or take you seriously.
    You lot always come back to food, since it is usually the sole widely-agreed-upon positive you can muster for the mass immigration of muslims into this country. Lots more rape, FGM, incest and forced marriage, but at least you can get a decent lamb bhuna.

Mind you, I'm not quite sure what Somalians or Afghans have to offer in this regard.

What is that religion was Judaism?

I am not convinced that it is accurate to say that 'few' disagree with Polish immigration. Plenty do in my experience although I think in many cases the issue is volume rather than the mere fact of being Polish.

Obviously you are right that some groups are better suited to integrate than others. This is arguably one of the issues with great concentrations of immigrant communities, such as Bradford. They tend to negate the need for integration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Skin colour can be a valid issue, though. Consider the pasty, doughy complexion of the paddy. Is this not reason enough to despise him?
    Ah, but he's only that colour due to being starved by the b@stard English for generations, so.

You lot always come back to food, since it is usually the sole widely-agreed-upon positive you can muster for the mass immigration of muslims into this country. Lots more rape, FGM, incest and forced marriage, but at least you can get a decent lamb bhuna.

Mind you, I'm not quite sure what Somalians or Afghans have to offer in this regard.
    Is it really so bad to point to a single positive? Particularly when it is quite clearly very ****ing positive indeed. Do we really have to consider whether a good lamb Bhuna is worth having your children raped?

Ah, but he's only that colour due to being starved by the b@stard English for generations, so.
    Aren't we that colour?

I am, pretty much.

I bought a car off some middle eastern swarthy dude the other day and he said I looked like the most english person he had ever seen.

I wasnt quite sure whether to be offended or not so I decided to be offended just to be on the safe side.

What is that religion was Judaism?

I am not convinced that it is accurate to say that 'few' disagree with Polish immigration. Plenty do in my experience although I think in many cases the issue is volume rather than the mere fact of being Polish.

Obviously you are right that some groups are better suited to integrate than others. This is arguably one of the issues with great concentrations of immigrant communities, such as Bradford. They tend to negate the need for integration.
    Depends on the Jew, dunnit. Your worldly, urbane, central European Jew - absolutely. Frummers, not so much.