Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This time next week we’ll know the outcome of the Swedish general

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I’m that way with Afghan men. Let the Taliban rip them from limb to limb for all I care.
    The Afghan male offers little to the world, bgm. Big fans of guerrilla warfare and pederasty. Beyond that, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I have to work with the Chinese, every day. Let's not beat around the bush, they are, in the main, a ****ing pain in the arse and they do some weird stuff that sickens me (sharks fins, tigers etc).

I couldn't actually dislike them. I have met too many that are genuinely decent people and more than a few who are thoroughly admirable.
    Fair enough, but the fact that a minority may be OK is not an argument for importing the majority, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Fair enough, but the fact that a minority may be OK is not an argument for importing the majority, is it?
    Hold on a sec..... you have shifted from racism to immigration. I thought the whole point of the conversation was that they aren't the same thing.

Easy to say when you've got somewhere else to go, I guess. My wife grew up poor as a young white girl in a predominantly Pakistani part of Bradford. She had no option but to stay, work hard at school and eventually get to university.
    Many would probably describe her views of the muslim community in Bradford as racist. However, they are based on her years of bitter experience of living amongst a closed-off, unhygienic, misogynistic, lawless, deeply exclusionist and bigoted culture that regarded her as rather less than human purely by virtue of the fact that she was white, non-muslim and female.

So, when all your experiences of an ethnic group tell you they're cùnts, is it racist to think that maybe - just maybe - they are cùnts?
    Do you mean is it racist to suggest that all pakistanis are ****s?

Yes. Yes, it is. Very much so.

Hold on a sec..... you have shifted from racism to immigration. I thought the whole point of the conversation was that they aren't the same thing.
    How we define racism in relation to immigration is the point. If you look at a group and decide, on balance and based on experience that you would prefer not to have to live alongside them, does that make you racist?

There is a Pakistani waiter in a Bangladeshi restaurant near here.
    He has hair that would make Mikel Arteta's look like Brian May's.
    Such an immobile, lustrous, nylon quality to it.

He seems like a nice bloke.

Not sure about the rest of em. Either in Pakistan or the restaurant.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

How we define racism in relation to immigration is the point. If you look at a group and decide, on balance and based on experience that you would prefer not to have to live alongside them, does that make you racist?
    It kind of depends. For example, if we were looking at importing half a million people from a lost amazonian tribe who had never met other humans before it would be reasonable to raise concerns about their ability to integrate.

If you objected to people from Trinidad coming because you don't like blacks then it would probably be considered racist (and quite ignorant, given the size of their asian population).

In the middle ground, it kind of depends what your objection is. If it is integration, it is probably legitimate. If it is sheer numbers and concentration, the same. If it is religion, its questionable and if it is purely skin colour, and nothing else, then its racist.

THe problem is your objection is likely to be a mix of different issues. Its best to just put up with it and trust your government to make the right decisions.

The word 'all' is doing a lot of work there. It would of course be absurd to say that all pakistanis are cùnts. However, it is quite reasonable to say that, based on your experience and those you have met over years of exposure to them, pakistanis are generally cùnts and that - from that - you have extrapolated a generally negative opinion of them as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    There is a Pakistani waiter in a Bangladeshi restaurant near here.
    He has hair that would make Mikel Arteta's look like Brian May's.
    Such an immobile, lustrous, nylon quality to it.

He seems like a nice bloke.

Not sure about the rest of em. Either in Pakistan or the restaurant.
    You raise a good point here. Food is a great way for cultures to integrate and appreciate each other.

The problem with your proper muslim is that they have rocked up in a country that is built on pub culture. If you dont have a beer, nobody is going to trust you or take you seriously.

The word 'all' is doing a lot of work there. It would of course be absurd to say that all pakistanis are cùnts. However, it is quite reasonable to say that, based on your experience and those you have met over years of exposure to them, pakistanis are generally cùnts and that - from that - you have extrapolated a generally negative opinion of them as a whole.
    How about sticking with the facts? She ****ing hates the Pakistani community in Bradford and for bloody good reason. As you know, I could show you both a very different type of pakistani community that I doubt she would hate.

If you are able to recognise that possibility then you are at least open to an experience that would question your current feelings towards them. I think that is probably fair enough.