Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm already annoyed by this Vanity Fair adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    'Twas in Middle English
    Given the book to read over the Summer Holidays in preparation for the start of A Level English Lit
    Fretted over failing to comprehend the text whilst on a 2 week trip abroad and was then told in September that it didn't matter whether none of us had even looked at the book
    Choc full of apostrophes, I seem to recall
    If you weren't taught the pronunciation, it was criminal to give you it to read, since you can't appreciate the meter and rhymes of the poetry without them. How to put kids off great literature in one easy lesson.

Much better to give you the very accessible Neville Coghill translation first and then give you the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think 'lives' may be pushing it. As that other underrated Victorian man of letters Chesterton put it:

"For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen,
    Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green."
    Rests.

Not far from WH Smith and Winston Churchill's young child, ISTR. the latter was quite hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Rests.

Not far from WH Smith and Winston Churchill's young child, ISTR. the latter was quite hard to find.
    Funny name to give a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    He's an ex-colonoial numpty, 71. Or 'rebel numpty' should you prefer.
    Right. We sorted you lot out at the Battle of Yorktown!

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There would be if they did an adaptation today. Some of the characters would simply turn up as black as your boot and there'd be not a hint of an explanation of how they got to late 19th Century rural Oxfordshire or why none of the other characters ever makes any reference to their pigmentation.

I was about to say above, fine to have a black person in the cast, just as long as every new character they met was completely shocked by their presence. I suspect this wasn't the case.