Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm already annoyed by this Vanity Fair adaptation.

I'm already annoyed by this Vanity Fair adaptation.

The actress playing Becky Sharp is not a redhead (which is a key trait of the character in the book). This, to me, is depriving ginger actresses of work and highly racially insensitive.
    Last edited by Burney; 08-31-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The actress playing Becky Sharp is not a redhead (which is a key trait of the character in the book). This, to me, is depriving ginger actresses of work and highly racially insensitive.
    'Gingers have no souls' Eric Cartman
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Never read that British sh!t. Who is it, Dickens?

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Never read that British sh!t. Who is it, Dickens?
    Dickens - It's Thomas Hardy, you colonial numpty.
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    William Makepeace Thackeray - as well you know.

Anyway, the wife and I had a bet on how long it would take before the first historically-unlikely black character appeared. I had five minutes (this not being the BBC) and she took 2 minutes. Lo and behold, on 1 minute, 59 seconds and 57 hundredths of a second, there was a black chick at Becky and Amelia's school.

Fine result for the wife, there.

He's an ex-colonoial numpty, 71. Or 'rebel numpty' should you prefer.

Anyway, the wife and I had a bet on how long it would take before the first historically-unlikely black character appeared. I had five minutes (this not being the BBC) and she took 2 minutes. Lo and behold, on 1 minute, 59 seconds and 57 hundredths of a second, there was a black chick at Becky and Amelia's school.

Pìss, pot, all, same. Having suffered this sort of shíte at Eng Lit 'A' Level, I care not one jot for it now.

Except for Lark Rise to Candleford. That was excellent.

And not a BME in sight
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

His house in Tunbridge Wells is now a rather fine restaurant - or at least it was 15 years ago. wd wmt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    His house in Tunbridge Wells is now a rather fine restaurant - or at least it was 15 years ago. wd wmt.
    I seem to remember having eaten there many moons ago.

Didn't he also have something to do with the Post Office?

And he wrote Barry Lyndon, which is very underrated.

Pìss, pot, all, same. Having suffered this sort of shíte at Eng Lit 'A' Level, I care not one jot for it now.

Except for Lark Rise to Candleford. That was excellent.

And not a BME in sight
    There would be if they did an adaptation today. Some of the characters would simply turn up as black as your boot and there'd be not a hint of an explanation of how they got to late 19th Century rural Oxfordshire or why none of the other characters ever makes any reference to their pigmentation.