Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Shocking first half

Shocking first half

Damn lucky to be level. West Ham could have been out of sight. We don't look anywhere near the level we were at against City and Chelsea. The players need a massive kick up the arse here at half time. They struggled to get any control of the game, couldn't put 4 passes together. Woeful.

I wonder if there are simply not enough centre halves available to effectively play this style of football. When you commit your fullbacks you need centre halves who are smart, quick, mobile, and effective one v. one, who also, on the other hand, are tall and physical enough to handle crosses to defend against the slow build up strategy. The best of these are at Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG etc ... how many are left for the likes of us?
    Just Koscielny. I'd like to see Holding given a chance, but Emery has undoubtedly been watching carefully hoping he'd be good enough and so far no.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabregasm View Post
    I wonder if there are simply not enough centre halves available to effectively play this style of football. When you commit your fullbacks you need centre halves who are smart, quick, mobile, and effective one v. one, who also, on the other hand, are tall and physical enough to handle crosses to defend against the slow build up strategy. The best of these are at Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG etc ... how many are left for the likes of us?
    Just Koscielny. I'd like to see Holding given a chance, but Emery has undoubtedly been watching carefully hoping he'd be good enough and so far no.
    I wouldn't be shocked if we see Elneny or Monreal moved in there as the season goes on. I noticed Cech has started mixing it up now with the goal kicks. This might actually be a bad sign. It might show a lack of belief in the project. Would certainly explain the embarrassing first half. There was no structure anywhere on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabregasm View Post
    Its not about the centre backs as much as the rest of the side. You cant play a high line when there is no pressure on the ball in midfield, and there hardly ever is.

It will get better but some of the players are going to have to **** off. If you are going to press you have to do it properly and as a team, otherwise you are just wasting the energy of a few players and leaving yourself wide open to counter attacks.

Sub at half time again. good stuff

I was actually thinking Monreal as well might do a good job there.