Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: N17 Refurb

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I certainly heard a lot of complaints about him from 2006 to 2011.

However, I do wonder whether he suffered because fans' expectations were raised to a level it became impossible to satisfy. The expectations generated when we made the move (that the club would emerge rich and powerful once the stadium was paid for) were reasonable at the time. However, everything changed in the interim and that made it impossible to match reality with expectations.

Did Wenger make mistakes? Absolutely. But was the complete transformation of the football landscape between 2006 and 2014 (when the stadium was actually paid off) his fault or could he have done anything to stop it? No.
    Fair enough. He was partly a victim of the economic miracle He himself, and we, our football club, helped to create.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I certainly heard a lot of complaints about him from 2006 to 2011.

However, I do wonder whether he suffered because fans' expectations were raised to a level it became impossible to satisfy. The expectations generated when we made the move (that the club would emerge rich and powerful once the stadium was paid for) were reasonable at the time. However, everything changed in the interim and that made it impossible to match reality with expectations.

Did Wenger make mistakes? Absolutely. But was the complete transformation of the football landscape between 2006 and 2014 (when the stadium was actually paid off) his fault or could he have done anything to stop it? No.
    It was a 25-year mortgage ISTR. By the time it's paid off Spurs might have finished theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    until January.

at that point the powder-puff pansies will be kicked into touch and the proper players will start to come in

Um, I read somewhere that there's not much money available in January. Something about an inflated wage-bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Um, I read somewhere that there's not much money available in January. Something about an inflated wage-bill.
    #UnaiOut

A new manager is like a trophy.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."