Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: N17 Refurb

N17 Refurb

I take it that no-one on here is laughing their metaphorical cocks off at the shambles up the road.

I know that we were aware of their troubles a while ago, but it still makes me chuckle.

Obviously the costs of the renovations had ni impact on them not spending a brass fathing in the transfer window

And don't surprised if they don't get in at all this season.
    Last edited by The Insider; 08-14-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Jumbotron stadia dont work - the real cock up was moving out of Highbury

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
    Exactly. You would think they would learn from the case study that we were generous enough to provide them with. In relative terms (to what they had achieved over the past 50 years) they were in a good place when they upped sticks, as were we. They may well come to regret the move as much as we surely do.

I can’t remember but what was our situation?

Was it really that impossible to increase the other stands?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post

There really was nowhere to go on the Avenell Road or Highbury Hill sides.

Blame Wenger for the move to the Arab Bowl...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    There really was nowhere to go on the Avenell Road or Highbury Hill sides.

Blame Wenger for the move to the Arab Bowl...
    On balance,it was the only way for the club to move forward and maintain its place amongst the top clubs in Europe.
    Of course the best way to engineer a low cost upgrade is to swoop in, following an Olympic or Commonwealth event..

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
    Man City - Stadium Capacity - 55,097
    Man United - Stadium Capacity - 74,994
    Chelsea - Stadium Capacity - 41,631
    Liverpool - Stadium Capacity - 54,074
    Tottenham - New stadium capacity - 62,062

Maximum capacity of Highbury - 38,419

Do you see the problem?

Yes. It was impossible structurally and legally. Do you not think they'd have rather done that if it had been feasible?

I’ve totally forgotten about all the nitty gritty ins and outs of this.

All I remember is us having to look after the pennies when Abramovic swooped in, bought Chelsea and changed all of the financials.

I’ve totally forgotten about all the nitty gritty ins and outs of this.

All I remember is us having to look after the pennies when Abramovic swooped in, bought Chelsea and changed all of the financials.
    The main problem with the move from Highbury was that the plan was (quite reasonably) predicated on the status quo of us and United slugging it out for top spot. The idea was that AW's contacts and eye for a player would mean we could get quality in cheap to see us through the hiatus. As you say, Abramovitch moved the goalposts. Suddenly, players like Drogba and Essien - who would have been natural AW signings - were being lured away by Chelsea for more than we'd pay, plus we lost Cole to them and players like Vieira and Henry were looking elsewhere. This happened at a time when we simply didn't have the money to compete and we've essentially been playing catch-up ever since. The timing of Abramovich's arrival probably hit us harder than anyone.