Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N17 Refurb

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Everyone knows that the dismal science is certainly dismal, but most definitely isn't a science.

If economics degrees were of any use for predicting future events, we'd never have recessions.
    Yes, you say that now it's mostly turned out to be meaningless bollócks. At the time though, there was a certain pride in the fact that our manager had been to university.

Anyway, it certainly seems to have served Him well. The key economic conundrum is always: What's in it for me. He answered that one well enough.

And there will always be recessions regardless, because, with very few exceptions, people are incredibly stupid when it comes to money. And that includes most of the experts
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    about financial doping he was whining that other teams were beating us because of their refusal to join in our game of flicky-flicky-pass-pass.
    Right. And the new chap will be just the same. They're all professionals nowadays, see. They don't make mistakes.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

We were remarkably unlucky in a number of quite unforseeable ways, which is why blaming AW is so monstrously unfair.
    I don't think people blame him for the lack of success circa 2006 - 2011. As you said, he couldn't have predicted Abramovich and then City and everyone supported the youth experiment because Wenger had a right to that level of support given how well he performed and also because I think everyone was quite excited by the idea of the genius talent evaluator building a team of young players that would grow together.

However once the experiment had failed and more money began to appear as the new sponsor deals arrived, his performance began to degrade and it became clear that he needed to adapt. Something which - sadly - he was incapable of.

It's all about Unai now.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I don't think people blame him for the lack of success circa 2006 - 2011. As you said, he couldn't have predicted Abramovich and then City and everyone supported the youth experiment because Wenger had a right to that level of support given how well he performed and also because I think everyone was quite excited by the idea of the genius talent evaluator building a team of young players that would grow together.

However once the experiment had failed and more money began to appear as the new sponsor deals arrived, his performance began to degrade and it became clear that he needed to adapt. Something which - sadly - he was incapable of.

It's all about Unai now.
    I'm not sure about that. I certainly heard a lot of complaints about him from 2006 to 2011.

However, I do wonder whether he suffered because fans' expectations were raised to a level it became impossible to satisfy. The expectations generated when we made the move (that the club would emerge rich and powerful once the stadium was paid for) were reasonable at the time. However, everything changed in the interim and that made it impossible to match reality with expectations.

Did Wenger make mistakes? Absolutely. But was the complete transformation of the football landscape between 2006 and 2014 (when the stadium was actually paid off) his fault or could he have done anything to stop it? No.

Hang on, back to the issue in hand....

Can we please cease and desist with these semi-reasoned points about us and return to the point of this post, namely.....

'Let's all laugh at Tottenham'

It's been a while and may be some time before we can again, so let's let them have it!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
    Can we please cease and desist with these semi-reasoned points about us and return to the point of this post, namely.....

'Let's all laugh at Tottenham'

It's been a while and may be some time before we can again, so let's let them have it!!
    They're going to be shít this season. Trust me in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    They're going to be shít this season. Trust me in this matter.
    Shítter than us, though? THAT is the question.

Shítter than us, though? THAT is the question.
    God no. We're going to be quite phenomenally shít, I'm afraid.

until January.

at that point the powder-puff pansies will be kicked into touch and the proper players will start to come in

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I thought as much.

EMERY OUT.