Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, Aaron Ramsey...

So, Aaron Ramsey...

no contract extension, no sale - at least not that we know of.

Is it safe to assume that if he isn't going to be sold - and there are no rumours about that I have seen - that the club are therefore very confident that he is going to sign an extension?

I'm guessing yes.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

Is it safe to assume that if he isn't going to be sold - and there are no rumours about that I have seen - that the club are therefore very confident that he is going to sign an extension?

I'm guessing yes.
    No. He will
    1. Do an Alexis next Jan.
    2. Do an Ozil next Jan.
    3. Sign for a siging on fee on a free transfer somewhere between Jan and May.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    No. He will
    1. Do an Alexis next Jan.
    2. Do an Ozil next Jan.
    3. Sign for a siging on fee on a free transfer somewhere between Jan and May.

I thought the consensus was that the club would not allow itself to be in that situation again. That we had learned from the recent mismanagement that characterized the later Wenger years.

I thought the consensus was that the club would not allow itself to be in that situation again. That we had learned from the recent mismanagement that characterized the later Wenger years.
    If he wants to run his contract down, and the club don't want to pay him what he's demanding, then that is what will happen. You can't force a player under contract to leave.

I'm guessing yes.

Given our recent performance on contracts and run downs, I would not put any money on it.

Incidentally, when was the last time we made ridicules money on a transfer. I'm thinking Anelka type ridicules. Cesc and RVP were the last big money outs that I can think of but one could easily make the case that we didn't get the money we should have.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Given our recent performance on contracts and run downs, I would not put any money on it.

Incidentally, when was the last time we made ridicules money on a transfer. I'm thinking Anelka type ridicules. Cesc and RVP were the last big money outs that I can think of but one could easily make the case that we didn't get the money we should have.
    Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of Spurs' book and regularly offer new contracts in return for modest incremental pay increases. It seems to work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    If he wants to run his contract down, and the club don't want to pay him what he's demanding, then that is what will happen. You can't force a player under contract to leave.
    You think people would just look around at other clubs and see that the players (by which I probably mean agents) weald the power. Marouane Fellaini pretty much held Man Utd at gunpoint and ran his contract down - I'll say that again - Marouane Fellaini. Look at the Alderweireld situation at Spurs. Do people really think Chelsea's plan was to panic buy a relatively unproven keeper for a world record fee just before the season started

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    You think people would just look around at other clubs and see that the players (by which I probably mean agents) weald the power. Marouane Fellaini pretty much held Man Utd at gunpoint and ran his contract down - I'll say that again - Marouane Fellaini. Look at the Alderweireld situation at Spurs. Do people really think Chelsea's plan was to panic buy a relatively unproven keeper for a world record fee just before the season started
    Technically Ash is correct, and it is certainly true that players/agents have more power than in the past.

But how many players of the 500 or so first teams players in the PL ran their contracts down this year and were free to go where they wanted?

Very, very few, I think. I still find this surprising. You would think that there would be enough interest in him that if he wanted to leave we could find a club willing to pay him what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of Spurs' book and regularly offer new contracts in return for modest incremental pay increases. It seems to work for them.
    ...and probably used to work for us?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Belgians.