Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesus fvcking Christ! What is fvcking wrong with this country?

Jesus fvcking Christ! What is fvcking wrong with this country?

The actual Commissioner of the Met tried to set her 'Hate crime' unit on Boris for mildly taking the p1ss out of how some people dress. Have a fvcking think about that for a fvcking second.

We are totally fvcked, aren't we?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ed-hate-crime/

She is a complete Dick, tbh.

She is a bit of a Rich
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    She is a complete Dick, tbh.
    I can't even raise a smile at the idiotic cvnt's name, a. It's too depressing. England's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The actual Commissioner of the Met tried to set her 'Hate crime' unit on Boris for mildly taking the p1ss out of how some people dress. Have a fvcking think about that for a fvcking second.

We are totally fvcked, aren't we?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ed-hate-crime/
    The annoying thing for me, though, is that Boris could have created the same effect without using the puerile language that has made it hard to defend him without appearing to condone the mockery of women who wear burkas

Say he'd have condemned the burka with the same language that you used yourself - "a disgusting abomination utterly incompatible with a modern society".

The same cast of characters would have come out and condemned him, but the focus would have been on the substance of his point, rather than his use of childish, offensive language.

Surely that would have been a more effective tactic?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The annoying thing for me, though, is that Boris could have created the same effect without using the puerile language that has made it hard to defend him without appearing to condone the mockery of women who wear burkas

Say he'd have condemned the burka with the same language that you used yourself - "a disgusting abomination utterly incompatible with a modern society".

The same cast of characters would have come out and condemned him, but the focus would have been on the substance of his point, rather than his use of childish, offensive language.

Surely that would have been a more effective tactic?
    What's wrong with mocking an item of clothing women (we are told) wear voluntarily?

By saying what he's said, he's shown just how thoroughly people will over-react to the mildest possible mockery of Islam. Had he condemned it in the rather pious terms I did, it wouldn't have shown up the insane disparity between the comments and the reaction anywhere near as effectively.

The reaction is the whole point. I doubt Boris gives a flying one about Burkas per se. He's interested in showing just how insane Number 10 and the left-wing tories will go if the sacred cow of Islam is even mildly laughed at.

What's wrong with mocking an item of clothing women (we are told) wear voluntarily?

By saying what he's said, he's shown just how thoroughly people will over-react to the mildest possible mockery of Islam. Had he condemned it in the rather pious terms I did, it wouldn't have shown up the insane disparity between the comments and the reaction anywhere near as effectively.

The reaction is the whole point. I doubt Boris gives a flying one about Burkas per se. He's interested in showing just how insane Number 10 and the left-wing tories will go if the sacred cow of Islam is even mildly laughed at.
    Had Corbyn mocked the appearance of Hasidic Jews in the same way that Boris mocked women who wear the burka you and many others would have accused him of anti-Semitism.

Monty is right, it was really stupid. Using your criticism would have been much more effective and would generated just as much of a reaction. The people who want someone like Boris in No. 10 would have been much happier with a debate over the burka and what it represents than a debate over how much of an idiot Boris has been, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Had Corbyn mocked the appearance of Hasidic Jews in the same way that Boris mocked women who wear the burka you and many others would have accused him of anti-Semitism.

Monty is right, it was really stupid. Using your criticism would have been much more effective and would generated just as much of a reaction. The people who want someone like Boris in No. 10 would have been much happier with a debate over the burka and what it represents than a debate over how much of an idiot Boris has been, I think.
    There is a broader point here in that this country has completely lost it's sense of humour over the last twenty years.

Humour has its many of its roots in the p1ss taking of others. There's a line of course but this obsession with offense has, in many cases gone beyond. The absurdity is that people still think and react the same way. I also find it odd that the people most outraged are the white middle classes.
    Likening a burkha to a pillar box is mildly amusing. I'm sorry but there it is. Should I choose to parade about up and down my local high street wearing a pink wig and then deem it offensive because I over hear someone ripping it out of me, should I then go running to report a hate crime. Where does it end.
    It's the gingers I feel sorry for because it still appears ok to rip it out them.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

:sigh: No, it wouldn’t have provoked the same reaction.

The whole point of the mocking comments was that they were the bait. He was relying on his opponents being stupid enough to seize upon them, thinking it could be a way to stop him. Instead, they’ve put themselves at odds with the membership and public, turned Boris into the de facto champion of the grassroots and made themselves look like PC, multi-culti, Islam-loving opportunists into the bargain. And all just before Conference.

The best thing about Boris’s plan is that it relied on Number 10’s endless capacity to do the wrong thing in any given situation- which it duly has.

Oh, and the Corbyn comparison is nonsense. Corbyn has a track record of anti-semitism as long as your arm, so of course such comments would be seen as antisemitic. No such history or context exists with Boris and muslims.

:sigh: No, it wouldn’t have provoked the same reaction.

The whole point of the mocking comments was that they were the bait. He was relying on his opponents being stupid enough to seize upon them, thinking it could be a way to stop him. Instead, they’ve put themselves at odds with the membership and public, turned Boris into the de facto champion of the grassroots and made themselves look like PC, multi-culti, Islam-loving opportunists into the bargain. And all just before Conference.

The best thing about Boris’s plan is that it relied on Number 10’s endless capacity to do the wrong thing in any given situation- which it duly has.

Oh, and the Corbyn comparison is nonsense. Corbyn has a track record of anti-semitism as long as your arm, so of course such comments would be seen as antisemitic. No such history or context exists with Boris and muslims.
    You're assuming that the same sort of public sentiment that resulted in Trump being elected is beginning to manifest itself in the UK.

I am unconvinced. I think politicians still need to be taken seriously over here, I don't think the public is quite that ready to thumb its nose at traditional politics and traditional politicians in the way that the Americans were.

Boris isn't going to be elected PM by turning himself into a mini-Trump.