Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Any Pension experts on here?

Any Pension experts on here?

Been offered (what seems) a rather attractive amount to "buy" out my final salary scheme from a previous employer (around 32x the pension payable at retirement age), figures look great but have to weigh the risk of losing a guaranteed amount +rpi for the rest of my life against transferring and the risk of a stock market/bond market crash and wiping out a big chuck ahead of retirement.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Been offered (what seems) a rather attractive amount to "buy" out my final salary scheme from a previous employer (around 32x the pension payable at retirement age), figures look great but have to weigh the risk of losing a guaranteed amount +rpi for the rest of my life against transferring and the risk of a stock market/bond market crash and wiping out a big chuck ahead of retirement.
    The trouble with pensions is that if you retire and then 3 years later get the bad cance and fall off your perch, the pension company has a great big chuckle and trousers your dosh. (Yours may ahve a widow's pension included, I don't know, I'm riffing here.)

Given the option I'd rather have the cash invested by my chosen broker/IFA so that I have a semblence of control and so the capital remains within my estate when I've gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The trouble with pensions is that if you retire and then 3 years later get the bad cance and fall off your perch, the pension company has a great big chuckle and trousers your dosh. (Yours may ahve a widow's pension included, I don't know, I'm riffing here.)

Given the option I'd rather have the cash invested by my chosen broker/IFA so that I have a semblence of control and so the capital remains within my estate when I've gone.
    THAT is the main reason i would look to switch.... why should the pension stay with the old company if i peg it and she would get hardly anything??? But the figures look almost too good to be true

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    THAT is the main reason i would look to switch.... why should the pension stay with the old company if i peg it and she would get hardly anything??? But the figures look almost too good to be true
    Hmm. You know what they say about things which seem too good to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Hmm. You know what they say about things which seem too good to be true?
    Go for it and stuff the consequences????