Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Enjoy Thomas the Tank Engine? Think again. It's a sexist, imperialist nightmare

Enjoy Thomas the Tank Engine? Think again. It's a sexist, imperialist nightmare

Thomas the Tank Engine had to shut the hell up to save children everywhere

Classism, sexism, anti-environmentalism bordering on racism: any parent who discovered these hidden lessons will be glad the show’s star just quit

here are many terrible children's programs through which parents must suffer during their child's young life. For every Sesame Street, there is an annoying Caillou or an acid-trippy Yo Gabba Gabba. But Thomas and Friends is – or was – the one show with enough subversive messages to make me turn it off for good.

My son, now three-and-a-half years old, thankfully never never went through a manic train fascination like so many other children. But once in a while, he'd get a bug in his brain to watch Thomas, and every time I sat and watched with him, I winced and groaned almost as much as Percy.

When I heard the news this week, that the voice actor behind Thomas's incessant whinging quit the series because he was underpaid, I remembered all of the reasons that I cut my kid off from the show in the first place.

Thomas and those friends are trains that toil away endlessly on the Isle of Sodor – which seems to be forever caught in British colonial times – and, on its surface, the show seems to impart good moral lessons about hard work and friendship. But if you look through the steam rising up from the coal-powered train stacks, you realize that the pretty puffs of smoke are concealing some pretty twisted, anachronistic messages.

For one, these trains perform tasks dictated by their imperious, little white boss, Sir Topham Hatt (also known as The Fat Controller), whose attire of a top hat, tuxedo and big round belly is just a little too obvious. Basically, he's the Monopoly dictator of their funky little island. Hatt orders the trains to do everything from hauling freight to carrying passengers to running whatever random errand he wants done, whenever he wants it done – regardless of their pre-existing schedules.

Inevitably, the trains get in a fight with or pick on one another (or generally mess up whatever job they are supposed to be doing) until Hatt has to scold one of them about being a "really useful engine", because their sole utility in life is their ability to satisfy his whims. Yeah, because I want to teach my kid to admire a controlling autocrat.

But there was one particular episode that caused me to put the brakes on Thomas for good. It revolved around James, a red engine who is described in the opening credits as "vain but lots of fun." (Wait, it's OK to be vain if you can show others a good time occasionally? Great – that's going in my Parenting 101 book.) In the episode "Tickled Pink", poor vain James, is ordered by Topham Hat to get a new coat of paint. But while James has only had an undercoat of pink slathered on, Topham Hatt interrupts and demands that James go pick up Hatt's granddaughter and deliver her and her friends to a birthday party right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ildren-parents
    How do these people tie their shoes in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    How do these people tie their shoes in the morning?
    There was that episode where the Fat Controller ordered that one of the trains be walled up alive. That was pretty fúcked up.

TheSadStoryOfHenry52.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There was that episode where the Fat Controller ordered that one of the trains be walled up alive. That was pretty fúcked up.

TheSadStoryOfHenry52.jpg
    That was one of the first ever episodes... poor Henry, he soon learnt his lesson though and was a much better behaved engine after that...wd tfc
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar