Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: la, während du sprechen ze Deutsch,

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The first mistake of grammar is to think that there are clear 'rules'. There aren't because English isn't Latin. The only 'rule' is that one should be able to convey one's meaning comprehensibly and without ambiguity. Thus, one must use the correct words to convey your meaning; subject and verb must agree; and one must use the correct grammatical marks in the correct places in order to ensure your meaning is not obscured.

That's about it, really. Everything else is usage and interpretation. Even the first rule is up for grabs, since if enough people wrongly use 'enormity' to describe size or 'disinterested' when they mean 'uninterested', then that usage becomes correct.
    Yet you slaughter WES for saying math instead of maths despite the fact that the meaning is in no way obscured.

Also, grammatically speaking, I dont think a short version of a word (maths instead of mathematics) is strictly a contraction. I am being pedantic here and, of course, english isnt Latin

I am drunk and its 1.30 in the morning here in Kuala Lumpur......

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The first mistake of grammar is to think that there are clear 'rules'. There aren't because English isn't Latin. The only 'rule' is that one should be able to convey one's meaning comprehensibly and without ambiguity. Thus, one must use the correct words to convey your meaning; subject and verb must agree; and one must use the correct grammatical marks in the correct places in order to ensure your meaning is not obscured.

That's about it, really. Everything else is usage and interpretation. Even the first rule is up for grabs, since if enough people wrongly use 'enormity' to describe size or 'disinterested' when they mean 'uninterested', then that usage becomes correct.
    I've been dealing with an Australian who insists on pointing our "grammatical errors" in a piece, which are nothing of the sort. He just keeps trying to stick in superfluous words and commas everywhere (to paraphrase, he insists that something such as "his hands and feet" should be "his hands and his feet"), while ignoring the fact that the thing that should concern them - ie the ****ing contact details for his clients - are entirely wrong. I am trying not to call him a ****

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I've been dealing with an Australian who insists on pointing our "grammatical errors" in a piece, which are nothing of the sort. He just keeps trying to stick in superfluous words and commas everywhere (to paraphrase, he insists that something such as "his hands and feet" should be "his hands and his feet"), while ignoring the fact that the thing that should concern them - ie the ****ing contact details for his clients - are entirely wrong. I am trying not to call him a ****
    As I say, most people are utterly tone deaf when it comes to writing, but this never stops them weighing in with their pox-ridden opinions about the writing of others. Pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    yes and ja - by some people. Most wouldn't give a ****
    All they seem to talk about is the weather anyway nowadays.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."