Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like most people, I don't really watch TV ads anymore if I can help it.

Like most people, I don't really watch TV ads anymore if I can help it.

However, I happened to catch a few ad breaks the other day and noticed that something very odd has happened to them.
    Basically, the number of non-white actors in adverts has now become ridiculous. Virtually every family in ads is either completely non-white or mixed race. All-white families are now a very rare sight in such ads. 82% of this country is white, but to look at advertising, you would imagine this figure were less than 50%. I've long got used to laughing at the silly, ahistorical black characters turning up in historical dramas, but I couldn't help but find something a little sinister about the false idea of the country we're now being sold.

Where have you been for the last five years B ?
    It’s actually the Asians who are hugely under represented. Black folk are all over the gaff, cool and trendy see. while Asians appear to be totally over looked.
    Some firms are becoming so hip, they’re even starting to embrace Jafaken, or Multi Ethic London speak in them.. KFC naturally, and who can forget those ads during the World Cup ?
    Outside of broadcast journalism, our Asian brethren might as well not exist..

The only place these days you're allowed to see an all white heterosexual cast is on Jeremy Kyle.

Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Where have you been for the last five years B ?
    It’s actually the Asians who are hugely under represented. Black folk are all over the gaff, cool and trendy see. while Asians appear to be totally over looked.
    Some firms are becoming so hip, they’re even starting to embrace Jafaken, or Multi Ethic London speak in them.. KFC naturally, and who can forget those ads during the World Cup ?
    Outside of broadcast journalism, our Asian brethren might as well not exist..
    Well as I say, I've barely watched any ads for years. I think it was only during the World Cup that I did happen to notice them and was shocked as a result. It's a fair point about the asians, but I guess nobody sees them as a fun bunch or wants to be like them.

Or watching Burnley FC.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    Or watching Burnley FC.
    They've just singed Joe Hart I'll have you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    They've just singed Joe Hart I'll have you know.
    https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/teams/first-team/

I actually genuinely wouldn't be surprised if The Guardian did a piece on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/teams/first-team/

I actually genuinely wouldn't be surprised if The Guardian did a piece on that.
    I'm a bit worried about Ben Gibson's colour, tbh. Has he been drinking too much Ribena?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm a bit worried about Ben Gibson's colour, tbh. Has he been drinking too much Ribena?
    He desperately needs some cyan and yellow in him imo
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'