Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I assume everyone watched England v Holland last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I remember a friend at school, mad keen football fan and decent central midfielder, telling me I'd love hockey because the tactics were just like football, so i went to watch a game.

He was mistaken, I'm afraid. I did not love it and the tactics were not like football.

All part of life's rich etc etc.
    At school I was once drafted in to play as goalie in a house match. Now I was a bloody good slipfielder back then, so was quite used to catching hard balls that flew at me at speed. Given which, just stopping hard balls that were coming at me at speed while wearing gloves, pads, stupid shoes and a stick seemed like a piece of p1ss.
    Needless to say, I played a blinder and the hockey coach was imploring me to join his squad, saying I'd walk into the 2nd XI and would be pushing for the 1st XI in no time. I declined, since I felt that hockey was gay. I don't regret the decision for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yes, apparently a big surprise that they made it to the semis and they have a decent chance against Spain who also caused an upset.

England beat Ireland 1-0 but completely outplayed them. So basically you're rubbish and on a lucky run.
    In Ireland it is essentially a Protestant sport.

Now we have all moved on from those dark times but essentially they can go fúck themselves and I hope they lose heavily next time out.

Plucky young English team against the tournament favourites. It was quite the occasion, cracking atmosphere at Lee Valley.

Sadly, the Dutchies prevailed but you have to give them credit, they can really play hockey. The Dutch women at the back didn't put a stick wrong all game and England never really looked like scorig, resorting to overheads and aimless long hits. Probably not too far off the senior men's football team at the WC really.

Still, enjoyable to watch and you have to appreciate the Dutch women, even if none of them are heterosexual.

NTTAWWI
    They may not be heterosexual, but they are indeed easy on the eye. :Amsterdam:

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    At school I was once drafted in to play as goalie in a house match. Now I was a bloody good slipfielder back then, so was quite used to catching hard balls that flew at me at speed. Given which, just stopping hard balls that were coming at me at speed while wearing gloves, pads, stupid shoes and a stick seemed like a piece of p1ss.
    Needless to say, I played a blinder and the hockey coach was imploring me to join his squad, saying I'd walk into the 2nd XI and would be pushing for the 1st XI in no time. I declined, since I felt that hockey was gay. I don't regret the decision for a minute.
    Given that the large majority of saves a hockey goalie makes are with his feet I fail to see how your experience as a slipfielder would help you.

Possibly you were just a fat child and the opposition kept hitting the ball at you?

Given that the large majority of saves a hockey goalie makes are with his feet I fail to see how your experience as a slipfielder would help you.

Possibly you were just a fat child and the opposition kept hitting the ball at you?
    Reflexes, dear boy. I had the reflexes of a cat. And in fact I made several saves and catches with my hands.

Essentially, I came to the conclusion that hockey was easy and the only boys who ended up playing it were the malcoordinated weeds and queers who weren't very good at proper sports like rugby and cricket. It was therefore beneath me.

Reflexes, dear boy. I had the reflexes of a cat. And in fact I made several saves and catches with my hands.

Essentially, I came to the conclusion that hockey was easy and the only boys who ended up playing it were the malcoordinated weeds and queers who weren't very good at proper sports like rugby and cricket. It was therefore beneath me.
    I'm calling bullsh1t because the keeper in hockey is not allowed to catch the ball and has a pad on one hand and a stick in the other that would prevent him from doing so.

Although your description of the type of athlete that would play the game is not far off as far as keepers are concerned.

Never met one who seemed vaguely athletic. Outfield players are certainly athletic, far more so than your average cricketer, I would say.

I'm calling bullsh1t because the keeper in hockey is not allowed to catch the ball and has a pad on one hand and a stick in the other that would prevent him from doing so.
    Different rules and equipment back then

http://www.fieldhockeyforum.com/thre...per-kit.44589/

Different rules and equipment back then

http://www.fieldhockeyforum.com/thre...per-kit.44589/
    Still, your description of hockey players could apply equally well to cricketers in my experience. As you may remember, I live in Shamley Green and have had no small opportunity to watch village cricket.

Quite the collection of spasticated, non-athletes these people are.

Still, your description of hockey players could apply equally well to cricketers in my experience. As you may remember, I live in Shamley Green and have had no small opportunity to watch village cricket.

Quite the collection of spasticated, non-athletes these people are.
    Nonsense - there's an athlete in every single cricketer. Some are just hidden better than other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2ca4oeJd8