Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I watched our game last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm not 100% sure how or, indeed, why, but there you go.

It was rather interesting, if it represented a glimpse at our style under Unai. There was less of a high press than I expected but quite high intensity in midfield and an obvioous emphasis on winning the ball and then getting it forward quickly. I can't say I found it particularly attractive but obviously it's extremely early days.

At the back we still looked like The Arsenal, so that was encouraging.

A question continued to puzzle me though. What is Mkihytaryhanh's actual position? Like, what's he s'posed to do? (I'm not saying he's a poor player, just that I've never really understood his role.)
    Well then.

As a seasoned pre-season friendly attendee I can say it was a strange experience. I could not get over how serious some chaps were taking it, especially the (estimate) 60 year old bloke two rows in front of me who spent large portions of the game on his feet giving rude hand gestures and shouting “fúck off you ****s” at the various Chelsea supporters around us, of which there were many, a lot more than I may have expected. I mean roaring and I am not sure he was even that very drunk, just excited.

There was a chorus of “stand up if you hate Tottenham ..” which I also found odd, on a Wednesday evening, in Dublin, at a training exercise.

Football wise it was fun to watch.

Tactically, and I apologise if this is over your head, I did note the extremely high line we appeared to be taking and with the duo of Mustafi and Sokratis I am unsure how this will pan out. I thought the latter did okay given the first time he has trialled for me. He certainly lashed out a good *******ing to Cech at one point.

They had a young lad on the wing who was extremely good, took young Bellerin to the cleaners at times but you know, it was a friendly so relax.

The shiny new kid who is the best new kid since the last kid did fúck all really and stood out as he wore white long sleeves under his shirt. No other reason.

Sideshow Bob is lively, always showing for the ball and trying to start things but gets caught in possession a lot, even in a pre-season friendly.

And our kit no longer looks red, which was a pity.

And Alvaro Morata, LOL.

€6.50 for a hot dog, I said no.

I bought a soft drink and they removed the lid in case I threw it at opposition supporters. For real. Me.

Any idea from the coverage as to why Ramsey missed out?

I think he's supposed to work the channels and get in

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm not 100% sure how or, indeed, why, but there you go.

It was rather interesting, if it represented a glimpse at our style under Unai. There was less of a high press than I expected but quite high intensity in midfield and an obvioous emphasis on winning the ball and then getting it forward quickly. I can't say I found it particularly attractive but obviously it's extremely early days.

At the back we still looked like The Arsenal, so that was encouraging.

A question continued to puzzle me though. What is Mkihytaryhanh's actual position? Like, what's he s'posed to do? (I'm not saying he's a poor player, just that I've never really understood his role.)
    the hole c. Pretty much my strategy with your mum.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post

Tactically, and I apologise if this is over your head, I did note the extremely high line we appeared to be taking ...
    Top Monty work there s .. a post threatening to deliver tactical insight but saying nothing beyond the usual "high line" bollux.

Well then.

As a seasoned pre-season friendly attendee I can say it was a strange experience. I could not get over how serious some chaps were taking it, especially the (estimate) 60 year old bloke two rows in front of me who spent large portions of the game on his feet giving rude hand gestures and shouting “fúck off you ****s” at the various Chelsea supporters around us, of which there were many, a lot more than I may have expected. I mean roaring and I am not sure he was even that very drunk, just excited.

There was a chorus of “stand up if you hate Tottenham ..” which I also found odd, on a Wednesday evening, in Dublin, at a training exercise.

Tactically, and I apologise if this is over your head, I did note the extremely high line we appeared to be taking and with the duo of Mustafi and Sokratis I am unsure how this will pan out. I thought the latter did okay given the first time he has trialled for me. He certainly lashed out a good *******ing to Cech at one point.

They had a young lad on the wing who was extremely good, took young Bellerin to the cleaners at times but you know, it was a friendly so relax.

The shiny new kid who is the best new kid since the last kid did fúck all really and stood out as he wore white long sleeves under his shirt. No other reason.

Sideshow Bob is lively, always showing for the ball and trying to start things but gets caught in possession a lot, even in a pre-season friendly.

And Alvaro Morata, LOL.

I bought a soft drink and they removed the lid in case I threw it at opposition supporters. For real. Me.

The claim was that he pulled up with a muscle strain during the warm up..
    Which I took to mean, the swap deal with Barca for Dembele was back on..

Well then.

And Alvaro Morata, LOL.

Thanks for that full report. Most erudite and interesting. I had no idea that Ramsey 'missed out' because I am not the sort of chap to enjoy sexual congress with children

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Hopefully his position is on the bench and Lacazette and Aubameyang start.
    The 'can you afford to play Ozil and Mkhitaryan together' debate probably isn't far away. It wasn't really an issue last season when most of the players didn't turn up. Might be a bit more noticeable this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Trent View Post
    The 'can you afford to play Ozil and Mkhitaryan together' debate probably isn't far away. It wasn't really an issue last season when most of the players didn't turn up. Might be a bit more noticeable this year.
    Indeed. I see him as a bit of a Netto Ozil. A decent enough player with a tendency to drift in and out of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Hopefully his position is on the bench and Lacazette and Aubameyang start.
    Ramsey off to Barca with Dembele coming the other way. Thoughts?

Well then.

And Alvaro Morata, LOL.

Off to Barca. Osumane Dembele coming the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Top Monty work there s .. a post threatening to deliver tactical insight but saying nothing beyond the usual "high line" bollux.
    It was really the only thing of note H. There seemed to be a lot of green space between the defenders and goal, perhaps this was because the game was in Ireland where we know legend and marketing suggests everything is green.

Otherwise it was all as before, lots and lots of passing and sometimes over passing. Almost as if it were a training exercise.

I had prepared myself for a veritable footballing press-fest given the media reporting but none arrived.

Mind you we were playing without our entire midfield.