Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard to read the Appeal Court's criticism of the judge who banged Tommy Robinson up

Hard to read the Appeal Court's criticism of the judge who banged Tommy Robinson up

and not conclude that his extraordinary actions were motivated by something other than the desire to see a fair trial.

For the reasons we have given, we are satisfied that the decision at Leeds Crown Court
    to proceed to committal to prison so promptly and without due regard for Part 48 of the
    Rules gave rise to unfairness. There was no clarity about what parts of the video were
    relied upon as amounting to contempt, what parts the appellant accepted through his
    counsel amounted to contempt and for what conduct he was sentenced. Indeed, we
    would emphasise that, save for those cases involving obstructive, disruptive, insulting
    or intimidating conduct in the courtroom or its vicinity or otherwise immediately
    affecting the proceedings, the judge, having taken such steps as are necessary to bring
    the misconduct to an end and mitigate its consequences, should usually resist the
    temptation to initiate contempt proceedings on his or her own motion. In the
    circumstances of this case, whilst the judge was entitled to deal with the contempt
    himself, the urgency went out of the matter when the appellant agreed to take down the
    video from Facebook. There should have been an adjournment to enable the particulars
    of contempt to be properly formulated and for a hearing at a more measured pace, as
    had happened in Canterbury. The judge might have referred the matter to the Attorney
    General to consider whether to institute proceedings. That course would have avoided
    the risk of sacrificing fairness on the altar of celerity.
    84. Even in those cases in which a summary determination is appropriate, whether
    immediate or delayed, care must be taken to apply Part 48 of the Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    and not conclude that his extraordinary actions were motivated by something other than the desire to see a fair trial.
    That's pretty strong. If Robinson has the resources to fight this aggressively and publicly, it could easily be the start of the far right having a proper hero upon whom to focus.

So long as he doesn't start s****ing about in footer bags.

So, altogether then... 'sing if you're glad to be gay, Sing if you're happy that way, hey'

I think he should have kept his original name.

Made him stand out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    That's pretty strong. If Robinson has the resources to fight this aggressively and publicly, it could easily be the start of the far right having a proper hero upon whom to focus.

So long as he doesn't start s****ing about in footer bags.
    That's already happening. There can be no doubt for anyone who's actually looked into Robinson's case that he has been subjected to an extraordinary and quite frightening campaign of state persecution over a number of years. You don't have to like or agree with him to find what has been done to him deeply worrying.

He also throws a decent right hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Xw...has_verified=1

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That's already happening. There can be no doubt for anyone who's actually looked into Robinson's case that he has been subjected to an extraordinary and quite frightening campaign of state persecution over a number of years. You don't have to like or agree with him to find what has been done to him deeply worrying.

He also throws a decent right hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Xw...has_verified=1
    Nice hit. Right on the jawline. Perfectly timed.

I know nothing of the chap save the obvious twitter screeching of fascist, so I don't know if he's an evil Nazi or a misunderstood centrist, but either way: he can throw a punch. Respect.

I know nothing of the chap save the obvious twitter screeching of fascist, so I don't know if he's an evil Nazi or a misunderstood centrist, but either way: he can throw a punch. Respect.
    Well he had a fair bit of practice on his wife

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Well he had a fair bit of practice on his wife
    Boycott type, is he? A cricketer as well, I'd wager? They seem the sort to beat women.

Boycott type, is he? A cricketer as well, I'd wager? They seem the sort to beat women.
    Our cricketers are currrently ably demonstrating that they couldn't hot a cow's arse with a banjo tbf

You ought to find out more. It will worry you.