Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surely 'decent' Labour MPs and party members can

Surely 'decent' Labour MPs and party members can

stand no more of Corbyn's cesspit? Surely the party must split now? Are they simply going to wait to be de-selected? The problem, of course, is that each day they remain in situ they are morally tainted by the antics of the vile far Left.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    stand no more of Corbyn's cesspit? Surely the party must split now? Are they simply going to wait to be de-selected? The problem, of course, is that each day they remain in situ they are morally tainted by the antics of the vile far Left.
    On the one hand, I can understand them not wanting to just hand over the Party that they (for God knows what reason) love and value to a bunch of hardline communists, anti-semites, Islamist fellow travellers and idiot rich kids playing at radicalism. On the other hand, they must see that their position becomes more morally untenable every day and that the only choice they have in the long term is between jumping and being pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    On the one hand, I can understand them not wanting to just hand over the Party that they (for God knows what reason) love and value to a bunch of hardline communists, anti-semites, Islamist fellow travellers and idiot rich kids playing at radicalism. On the other hand, they must see that their position becomes more morally untenable every day and that the only choice they have in the long term is between jumping and being pushed.
    Its a fight for the soul of the party. The bad guys are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    They're all bad guys, p.

However, I can't see a way the 'good guys' can come back. The hard left now controls all the levers of power save the PLP. And the PLP by its nature is subject to change every few years and is vulnerable to deselection.

I find it odd that a party who should be exercising simple tap ins, courtesy of possibly the weakest Tory party for generations continues to miss out on such a rich seam of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    I find it odd that a party who should be exercising simple tap ins, courtesy of possibly the weakest Tory party for generations continues to miss out on such a rich seam of opportunity.
    Uniquely, the two parties are both struggling with their respective betes noires at the same time. For the tories, it's Europe, but for Labour it's the death struggle between the left and right wings of the party. This means that the two parties are basically paralysed in terms of effectiveness.

Is there a simple explanation as to how this happened? How did the far left gain control of what was a centrist party for many years?

I think Milliband changed some rules about who can join or summat? I never really followed it back then.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Is there a simple explanation as to how this happened? How did the far left gain control of what was a centrist party for many years?

I think Milliband changed some rules about who can join or summat? I never really followed it back then.
    Because some prick changed the rules as to how leaders are elected. Instead of an electoral college which weighted the PLP, the unions and the membership at one third each they changed it to a flat one member one vote. This means some beardy **** who has just walked in off the street has as big a say in the leadership election as any Labour MP.

It wasn't Ed himself that changed the rules but I think he was largely responsible for triggering the review that proposed the change.

So now 100,000 beardy ****s join up just before a leadership election and vote in another beardy ****. The party is effectively ****ed.

Burney Would probably argue that it is democracy at work and that the PLP has forced a centrist leadership on a grass roots left wing party for a century. He would also piss himself laughing at what an utter mess it is

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    They're all bad guys, p.

However, I can't see a way the 'good guys' can come back. The hard left now controls all the levers of power save the PLP. And the PLP by its nature is subject to change every few years and is vulnerable to deselection.
    Well, yes.... the Westminster swamp and all that. Lets say the worst guys are winning.

THe issue is that the PLP is powerless to select or oust its leadership. Gradually, through resignation, departure and deselection the leadership will get the PLP it wants. Gradually, this PLP will get smaller and smaller until some clever **** works out a way to change the ****ing leadership election rules!

Because some prick changed the rules as to how leaders are elected. Instead of an electoral college which weighted the PLP, the unions and the membership at one third each they changed it to a flat one member one vote. This means some beardy **** who has just walked in off the street has as big a say in the leadership election as any Labour MP.

It wasn't Ed himself that changed the rules but I think he was largely responsible for triggering the review that proposed the change.

So now 100,000 beardy ****s join up just before a leadership election and vote in another beardy ****. The party is effectively ****ed.

Burney Would probably argue that it is democracy at work and that the PLP has forced a centrist leadership on a grass roots left wing party for a century. He would also piss himself laughing at what an utter mess it is
    Don't forget the many Tories who paid their 3 quid to vote for Corbyn to ensure the destruction of the Labour party once and for all.

At least, I think is appropriate...