Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any theories as to where this new London accent

Any theories as to where this new London accent

came from ? Easy to say it’s a black thing but I don’t recall the likes of Daley Thompson or Kenny Lynch pronouncing the word, plate as pleet.
    Or, night as nayyyte. Does this twang have a name ?
    I mean, is old skool cockney now confined to the fringes of the Home Counties, with the higher concentrations along the sarfend arterial ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    came from ? Easy to say it’s a black thing but I don’t recall the likes of Daley Thompson or Kenny Lynch pronouncing the word, plate as pleet.
    I mean, is old skool cockney now confined to the fringes of the Home Counties, with the higher concentrations along the sarfend arterial ?
    Everyone sounds like Ali G to me. I assume they're taking the piss.

Arks. That's the thing that really boils my píss. Don't arks me why.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    You mean fringes (outer boroughs) of London and the home counties, I presume. Of course there are older people in the inner boroughs who are still a bit 'ave a banana. Cockney actually came in from Essex, as it goes. The original London accent may have been a flatter, more neutral sort of RP, ISTR, according to an eminent London historian whose name currently escapes me.

that's old school Jamaican c. Wind or Grind by

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Everyone sounds like Ali G to me. I assume they're taking the piss.

Arks. That's the thing that really boils my píss. Don't arks me why.
    Prince Buster

The first thing she arks, "Did you have your brush?
    If you have your brush, you can avoid the rush."

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Prince Buster

The first thing she arks, "Did you have your brush?
    If you have your brush, you can avoid the rush."

Ah yes, the old school stuff, nice one.

Absolute shíte, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Ah yes, the old school stuff, nice one.

Absolute shíte, of course.
    As a black Jamaican identified your casual racism infuriates me. Next you'll be telling me that my beloved Ska music is simply a load of old pidgin english bawled repeatedly over a repetitious, slightly out of kilter beat, recorded on a crackly 50's tape deck in a Trenchtown hovel!

As a black Jamaican identified your casual racism infuriates me. Next you'll be telling me that my beloved Ska music is simply a load of old pidgin english bawled repeatedly over a repetitious, slightly out of kilter beat, recorded on a crackly 50's tape deck in a Trenchtown hovel!
    Ska is ace!

I'm no racist. I'm a keen admirer of soul music, blues music and the other Great Black Music - Tanzanian hip hop, known of course as Bongo Flava

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Ska is ace!
    Some tremendous stuff came from Trojan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Ska is ace!
    Exactly.

Pwoppa skin'ead choons.