Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I see the Irish Prime Minister is now trying to suggest that UK planes won't be

I see the Irish Prime Minister is now trying to suggest that UK planes won't be

allowed to fly over Irish airspace.

There are a few issues with that, Leo:

The legal:The right to fly over Irish airspace is guaranteed by a treaty to which Ireland is a signatory and which has nothing to do with the EU
    The economic: The damage to Ireland's economy and access to Europe from such a move would be much, much greater than that to the UK's
    The practical: There is literally no means of enforcing this. Ireland's airspace is only guaranteed by the protection offered by the RAF, since Ireland has no air-to-air combat capability and what combat aircraft it has couldn't even reach a commercial airliner, let alone keep up with it. Presumably, Leo envisages that we will maintain our defence of his country's airspace while having our aircraft banned from it?

Grandstanding fvcking clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

The legal:The right to fly over Irish airspace is guaranteed by a treaty to which Ireland is a signatory and which has nothing to do with the EU
    The economic: The damage to Ireland's economy and access to Europe from such a move would be much, much greater than that to the UK's
    The practical: There is literally no means of enforcing this. Ireland's airspace is only guaranteed by the protection offered by the RAF, since they have no air-to-air combat capability and what combat aircraft they have couldn't even reach a commercial airliner, let alone keep up with it. Presumably, Leo envisages that we will maintain our defence of his country's airspace while having our aircraft banned from it?

How the fvck do you know all this sh!t?

The practical: There is literally no means of enforcing this. Ireland's airspace is only guaranteed by the protection offered by the RAF, since Ireland has no air-to-air combat capability and what combat aircraft it has couldn't even reach a commercial airliner, let alone keep up with it. Presumably, Leo envisages that we will maintain our defence of his country's airspace while having our aircraft banned from it?

around 75% of all transatlantic flights cross through Irish airspace.

the Taoiseach could monitor which ones are from the UK and which ones are not via an app on his phone.
    and then have the ability and / or resources to do exactly fúck all about it.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

the Taoiseach could monitor which ones are from the UK and which ones are not via an app on his phone.
    Did you know that if you own your house, you own the land it is built on, the structure, and the sky directly above it, but not the ground beneath - so if you strike oil in your back garden, it doesn't belong to you, but the crown.

I read that on the internet so it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

Not entirely fair, iufg. He could go out into his back garden and shake his fist at the sky.

297-300x169.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Did you know that if you own your house, you own the land it is built on, the structure, and the sky directly above it, but not the ground beneath - so if you strike oil in your back garden, it doesn't belong to you, but the crown.

I knew about the bit above it...some Churches in new York used to sell the area above their church to constructors who could then tfr ownership to their land and enable them to build higher than perviosuly allowed
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Where does one's ownership of the sky above one end? Presumably at the stratosphere. Otherwise, given the motion of the spheres, we would all effectively have timeshare ownership of Saturn, the Moon, etc?

They have several Cessna 172s, apparently. Flat out at 120 kt, they could definitely trouble a 787 doing 500 kt 38,000 ft above them.

Definitely.

Where does one's ownership of the sky above one end? Presumably at the stratosphere. Otherwise, given the motion of the spheres, we would all effectively have timeshare ownership of Saturn, the Moon, etc?
    Do I look like the ******* offspring of Perry Mason and Patrick Moore, b?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I knew about the bit above it...some Churches in new York used to sell the area above their church to constructors who could then tfr ownership to their land and enable them to build higher than perviosuly allowed
    You can't own air. I won't have it.