Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So all those Thai lads are going to become Buddhist monks now, apparently

So all those Thai lads are going to become Buddhist monks now, apparently

So that's not weird at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    So that's not weird at all.
    Pretty well all young Thai men do a stint as a monk. It's just a part of their education really and perfectly normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Pretty well all young Thai men do a stint as a monk. It's just a part of their education really and perfectly normal.
    Does it not mean a lifetime of poverty, chastity and obedience, then? What's the point in that?

Does it not mean a lifetime of poverty, chastity and obedience, then? What's the point in that?
    Nah, they do it for a few months and then go back to the gambling, boozing and whoring so beloved of the Thai male.

All in all, a great bunch of lads in my experience.

Nah, they do it for a few months and then go back to the gambling, boozing and whoring so beloved of the Thai male.

All in all, a great bunch of lads in my experience.
    Fair enough, but it's not proper monking, is it? It's basically a sh1t gap year.

Fair enough, but it's not proper monking, is it? It's basically a sh1t gap year.
    I'm not sure how you define 'proper monking', but when you are fed by wandering around the streets in the morning with a bowl in which random people dump cooked rice, I'd say that's pretty fúcking austere. Mind you, the robes are a cheerful shade of orange. And I suppose when you get upset about something political you're supposed to set yourself on fire; that's pretty hardcore.

I'm not sure how you define 'proper monking', but when you are fed by wandering around the streets in the morning with a bowl in which random people dump cooked rice, I'd say that's pretty fúcking austere. Mind you, the robes are a cheerful shade of orange. And I suppose when you get upset about something political you're supposed to set yourself on fire; that's pretty hardcore.
    Meh. Monking is hanging around in an old building with a load of other fellas, tonsures, not having any carnal goings on for the rest of your life, itchy, hempen garments, a lot of silence interspersed with plainsong and haunting places for centuries after your death.

Meh. Monking is hanging around in an old building with a load of other fellas, tonsures, not having any carnal goings on for the rest of your life, itchy, hempen garments, a lot of silence interspersed with plainsong and haunting places for centuries after your death.
    That's an Umberto Eco novel. I'm talking proper monks, particularly those who follow Our Dear Leader, HHDL.

He must be almost dead now. I wonder who the next one will be? Exciting times.

That's an Umberto Eco novel. I'm talking proper monks, particularly those who follow Our Dear Leader, HHDL.

He must be almost dead now. I wonder who the next one will be? Exciting times.
    So how does it work? Do they have to find someone who's born at the same time the old one wears out?

And making beer.