Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The batter on my cod was far too thin last night.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I'm struggling to think of any time that I have enjoyed fish n chips more than from a simple chippy. Restaurants, gastro pubs, home made etc etc - all disappointing for me.

Cod n chips for a decent chippy with lashings of malt vinegar and salt and some ketchup on the side to dip the chips in.

Has no peers, I'm afraid.
    I don't do chippies anymore, as my home-made version is infinitely better. Better batter, better chips, better-quality fish. Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't do chippies anymore, as my home-made version is infinitely better. Better batter, better chips, better-quality fish. Better.
    I'd probably need to practice more but I rarely use my deep fat fryer as Mrs WES endlessly moans about the smell.

What sort of oil do you use and how often would you change it?

I'd probably need to practice more but I rarely use my deep fat fryer as Mrs WES endlessly moans about the smell.

What sort of oil do you use and how often would you change it?
    You don't want to be cooking your fish in your deep fat fryer, otherwise you'll be changing your oil every time. Just cook the fish in a saucepan and keep the dff for the chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You don't want to be cooking your fish in your deep fat fryer, otherwise you'll be changing your oil every time. Just cook the fish in a saucepan and keep the dff for the chips.
    So batter up the fish and then fry in a layer of oil in a pan? And turns out as well as the dff job from a chippy? You can get nice thick, crispy layer of batter that way?

So batter up the fish and then fry in a layer of oil in a pan? And turns out as well as the dff job from a chippy? You can get nice thick, crispy layer of batter that way?
    You have asked three questions there, the latter two clearly implying that you have answered the first for yourself and dismissed said answer as somehow wrong.

I could answer in such a way as to be potentially helpful to you, as I did above, but you have once again chosen to simply be rude for the sake of it, so I suggest you go fúck yourself. And take your cod with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You have asked three questions there, the latter two clearly implying that you have answered the first for yourself and dismissed said answer as somehow wrong.

I could answer in such a way as to be potentially helpful to you, as I did above, but you have once again chosen to simply be rude for the sake of it, so I suggest you go fúck yourself. And take your cod with you.
    Now *that* is rude, whereas my questions were genuine so I shall await an apology.

I was expecting something along the lines of providing more detail on how you make your batter, how much oil you put in the pan, the type of oil you use and any other suggestions you might have that would result in chippy caliber fish n chips.

Instead, you were rude. And a c*nt. So I'm waiting.

Now *that* is rude, whereas my questions were genuine so I shall await an apology.

I was expecting something along the lines of providing more detail on how you make your batter, how much oil you put in the pan, the type of oil you use and any other suggestions you might have that would result in chippy caliber fish n chips.

I just use the deep fat fryer and change the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I just use the deep fat fryer and change the oil.
    Do you just use vegetable oil? And you have to change it each time after you use it?

Do you just use vegetable oil? And you have to change it each time after you use it?
    Vegetable oil or sunflower oil, yes. And you don't have to change it afterwards, but it will retain a fishy whiff if you don't.

You wouldn't call me a **** to my face, would you?