Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So with hindsight (and as England didn't win it) I'm happy to say that was probably

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So with hindsight (and as England didn't win it) I'm happy to say that was probably

the best World Cup I can remember. Lots of incident, remarkably few really tedious games, not too many games decided on pelanties and the best team won it. Most satisfactory - for international football.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    the best World Cup I can remember. Lots of incident, remarkably few really tedious games, not too many games decided on pelanties and the best team won it. Most satisfactory - for international football.
    All very enjoyable and has certainly filled that tedious summer gap.

We also appear to have picked up some decent additions whilst I've been away

No Oranje, no party b.

Otherwise it was fun, I grant you. Especially seeing the likes of Argentina and Germany going home so early

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    No Oranje, no party b.

Otherwise it was fun, I grant you. Especially seeing the likes of Argentina and Germany going home so early
    Yes. I'm also prepared to concede that England having a decent run gave it an extra piquancy it might otherwise have lacked.

I did think the Dutch thing was a shame, but the fact is that they're a bit dogsh1t at the moment.

Yes. I'm also prepared to concede that England having a decent run gave it an extra piquancy it might otherwise have lacked.

I did think the Dutch thing was a shame, but the fact is that they're a bit dogsh1t at the moment.
    I missed Italy's rank negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I missed Italy's rank negativity.
    I would argue that Italy's absence was a major factor in its watchability. I think they ought to be banned permanently from World Cups.

And no sign of anything changing, really.

Bosman killed Dutch football. Belgian prick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    And no sign of anything changing, really.

Bosman killed Dutch football. Belgian prick.
    We should let the top Dutch teams join the Premier League imo.

We should let the top Dutch teams join the Premier League imo.
    I think the advantage they had for all those years was having a system that was geared to producing footballers for whom technique was ingrained, from the age of 6 onwards. Technique, technique, technique. Teaching kids to love the football and to bend the ball to their will.

Now every **** does it.

It all seemed a bit meh in the end. France were the best side but at the same time they didn't really look very good.

Germany going out early made it a good world cup

Lots ofSpurs players went deep into the tournament, most of ours were home nice and early. That's nice