Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: How incredibly sh*t is women’s tennis ?

How incredibly sh*t is women’s tennis ?

A twelve month absence and only four comeback tournaments, Williams makes a Wimbledon final.. Contrast that with the comeback paths of Murray, Federer & Djokovic.
    Factor in 3 set games and equal pay.
    What a pile of old wa^k, I’m sure Cliff Richard would say..

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    A twelve month absence and only four comeback tournaments, Williams makes a Wimbledon final.. Contrast that with the comeback paths of Murray, Federer & Djokovic.
    Contrast a woman coming back from giving birth (not as far as I know it regarded as an injury) to two men, one 36 and one 32, coming back from serious, potentially career-threatening, injuries and winning the last six grand slam tournaments between them. You've not really thought that through have you. Agree with you on the whole equal pay, three set nonsense though

You make a valid point about pregnancy v injury but it still amounts to a fair amount of time out of the game. In Williams case, I believe she underwent surgery for the umpteenth time, so probably not the same recovery as a straight birth. That notwithstanding. I’m pretty sure that if any of the leading men took 12 months out. without any injury, they probably wouldn’t make grand slam contenders in the first year back ?

'Williams'. 'Women's tennis'.

Nah.

You make a valid point about pregnancy v injury but it still amounts to a fair amount of time out of the game. In Williams case, I believe she underwent surgery for the umpteenth time, so probably not the same recovery as a straight birth. That notwithstanding. I’m pretty sure that if any of the leading men took 12 months out. without any injury, they probably wouldn’t make grand slam contenders in the first year back ?
    You fail to add the fact that she was so far ahead of all other women when she took time out that she doesn't need to be the same level as she was before to be able to compete....look at how all the top women seeds were knocked out early on, it shows that the difference between the top women (without Williams) and the rest is not big. In the men's game the gap between the top players isn't so pronounced which is why it takes longer for an inured player to get back to the top
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

But Federer and Nadal have come back and won stuff after 12 months out with injury which is surely more difficult. Djokovic had a long time out and is back in the semis of a grand slam

Seen the state of the **** as well? Women's tennis is on a par with heavyweight boxing atm, an all time low imo
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Well, you’ve pretty much made the same point. When you scroll back, even to the Billie Jean King era, there have been a handful of women who have utterly dominated the sport. Graf, Navratilova, Williams.. A few on the periphery over the years but essentially a non event, when compared to the men..
    How **** is women’s tennis...

All of tennis suffers from this problem though. No youngins coming in. They try, they fail to break through, they fall back into the pit. Look at A. Zverev on the men's side. Even as Raonic before him. Not good.