Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
Now, why do, say, Romanians come to the UK for work when their domestic rate of unemployment is 4.6%
The UK has unemployment levels of 4.5% and that is typically described as 'almost full employment' (I think you need a certaim amount of unemployment for economics to work properly).

Whereas, EU states with the highest levels of unemployment (Italy, Greece, Spain) you hardly see any immigrants coming to the UK.

So, in short, a lot of EU nationals come to this country for work which they could easily find at home.

Do the UK pay more? ie is our National Living Wage more than a Polish or Latvian worker would get? If so, how does a fúcking common market actually work?

Is it free healthcare in the UK that draws them?

Is it the UK's benefit system?

Who knows?

The only thing I know is . . . it ain't the fúcking weather.
It's just salary differentials, innit. Vlad from Bucharest can come and work as a hod carrier for a year, live ina room with 18 other Romanians, and fúck off home with enough money to build himself a house. Mind you, I believe many of them realise what squalid shítholes places like Romania are and decide to stay here, where they may be skint but they won't die of the fúcking Black Death.