Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: It dawned on me while watching last nights game

It dawned on me while watching last nights game

How completely bonkers the England team selection was. They had been playing the whole tournament with ONE central midfielder. Which then had me thinking are the midfield options really that bad or is Southgate an idiot? Surely you take out Lingard or Alli and put a proper midfielder in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    How completely bonkers the England team selection was. They had been playing the whole tournament with ONE central midfielder. Which then had me thinking are the midfield options really that bad or is Southgate an idiot? Surely you take out Lingard or Alli and put a proper midfielder in there?

The CM options were Delph, Henderson and Dier. I can see why Southgate went the way he did, and he sort of made it work. It wasn't a terrible plan (got him to the semi), he just stuck to it for a bit too long. He took far too long to change things during the second half. Croatia's midfield were always going to have the upper hand the longer the game went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Trent View Post
    The CM options were Delph, Henderson and Dier. I can see why Southgate went the way he did, and he sort of made it work. It wasn't a terrible plan (got him to the semi), he just stuck to it for a bit too long. He took far too long to change things during the second half. Croatia's midfield were always going to have the upper hand the longer the game went on.
    I just read they had six shots on target from open play in the whole tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I just read they had six shots on target from open play in the whole tournament
    As LA said last week. England were basically 90's Wimbledon. Still, it was fun while it lasted. England had a little run, we had proper summer weather and Arsenal have signed players they actually needed.

What a time to be alive imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Trent View Post
    As LA said last week. England were basically 90's Wimbledon. Still, it was fun while it lasted. England had a little run, we had proper summer weather and Arsenal have signed players they actually needed.

What a time to be alive imo.
    Slightly harsh I think. It's true England lacked a traditional no. 10 and that limited them in the final third however some of the passing and possession was nice to watch, they hardly lumped it forward as soon as they got it Wimbledon stylee.