Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No, m isn’t like other people. For a start he’s much brighter and thoughtful (not in the sense of being kind, natch) than other people. The fact that he cares about things like intellectual consistency irritates those who do, of course, but I think it’s a good thing. I don’t think he’s ever got a minute imagined other people are like him. He is very aware he is different.

Which is good. Who wants to be like ‘other people’, ffs?
    There are plenty of intellectual pursuits in life but very few people consider football to be one of them. Surely his logic is flawed as well- surely he doesn't hate all of those england players and, if so, why?

I mean, I hate some Arsenal players. Should I want Arsenal to lose??

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think there are millions of people whose loyalties to the england team are negotiable. This is why we keep hearing about the team 'reconnecting' with the fans. You have chosen to remove yourself from this because there are Spurs players in the team. I think your reason is a bit ****tish but I understand where you are coming from.

What I dont understand is why you are here issuing warnings to those who have gone the other way and embraced the side. Within the context of an AWIMB that you tend to dominate, THEY are the non-conformists. Bravo tot hem- and to me for being one of them.

I dont think an englishman supporting england at a world cup is a particularly good example of rank, unthinking conformity. Ash describes the benefits of being part of something bigger and it is tempting to get caught up in it rather than to sneer on the sidelines. I have tried both and dont feel terribly comfortable with either.

It can also be due to something more than your place of birth. I have a natural affinity to an english style of football as I think most of us do. I quite like seeing lads from Rotherham crashing into silky Colombians. Its fun!

I will give you the Norman Tebbit bit. Glad to see that even you are finally realising what a complete and utter ****ing **** Norman Tebbit was
    The ‘warning’ was by way of a joke, p. Exaggeration for comic effect, sort of thing. I do it rather a lot - I’d have thought you might have noticed by now.

And I’m afraid that when I hear people go on about a desire to ‘be part of something bigger’ I tend to think it’s just a touchy-feels way of saying that they like to go along with the crowd. Fair enough and good luck to them, but I don’t and never have. I’m not one of life’s joiners, p. By which I don’t mean I’m bad at carpentry - although I am that, too.
    Last edited by Burney; 07-12-2018 at 03:02 PM.

There are plenty of intellectual pursuits in life but very few people consider football to be one of them. Surely his logic is flawed as well- surely he doesn't hate all of those england players and, if so, why?

I mean, I hate some Arsenal players. Should I want Arsenal to lose??
    I can’t speak for m, but I hate every single player who plays for a rival English team. I mean obviously I hate some of them more than others, but I hate them all on some level.

I can’t speak for m, but I hate every single player who plays for a rival English team. I mean obviously I hate some of them more than others, but I hate them all on some level.
    I dont particularly like any of them but I did find something to admire here and there. Ashley Young desperately trying to struggle through extra time so he could take a penalty; Raheem Sterling constantly looking to run beyond the back four constantly despite being horribly low on confidence; even Harry Kane's ice cold stare as he waited nearly five minutes to take that penalty against Columbia.

Of course I dislike them and their clubs but I am able to see beyond that for a few weeks every couple of years. It helps that I dont absolutely despise any of them the way I did with John Terry.

Either way, intellectual consistency is pretty dangerous. You hate Harry Kane I presume? If he signs for Arsenal next week, what do you do? Rationalise it on account of the move? Continue to hate him?

The basic intellectual outline here is that you hate them because they play for Spurs. Now they are playing for a different team. You may choose to continue to hate them but it does not flow logically from the premise. Its a choice, and good luck to you.
    Last edited by Peter; 07-12-2018 at 03:13 PM.

The ‘warning’ was by way of a joke, p. Exaggeration for comic effect, sort of thing. I do it rather a lot - I’d have thought you might have noticed by now.

And I’m afraid that when I hear people go on about a desire to ‘be part of something bigger’ I tend to think it’s just a touchy-feels way of saying that they like to go along with the crowd. Fair enough and good luck to them, but I don’t and never have. I’m not one of life’s joiners, p. By which I don’t mean I’m bad at carpentry - although I am that, too.
    The perennial voice of dissent. You are so important to us all, b. You remind of that we must question everything, that we must take nothing for granted, that might is not always right.

Still, you must be a ****ing drag at parties

The perennial voice of dissent. You are so important to us all, b. You remind of that we must question everything, that we must take nothing for granted, that might is not always right.

Still, you must be a ****ing drag at parties
    I avoid parties like the plague, p. Awful things full of dreadful people.

I avoid parties like the plague, p. Awful things full of dreadful people.
    Oh good god, so do I. The veryword brings me out in a rash. I would only go to a party to get out of going to a wedding.

I dont particularly like any of them but I did find something to admire here and there. Ashley Young desperately trying to struggle through extra time so he could take a penalty; Raheem Sterling constantly looking to run beyond the back four constantly despite being horribly low on confidence; even Harry Kane's ice cold stare as he waited nearly five minutes to take that penalty against Columbia.

Of course I dislike them and their clubs but I am able to see beyond that for a few weeks every couple of years. It helps that I dont absolutely despise any of them the way I did with John Terry.

Either way, intellectual consistency is pretty dangerous. You hate Harry Kane I presume? If he signs for Arsenal next week, what do you do? Rationalise it on account of the move? Continue to hate him?

The basic intellectual outline here is that you hate them because they play for Spurs. Now they are playing for a different team. You may choose to continue to hate them but it does not flow logically from the premise. Its a choice, and good luck to you.
    Oh, if they leave Spurs and join another club, I hate them less, certainly. I hate Kyle Walker about 15% less now that he plays for City, for instance.
    And the thing is that they are still Spurs players when they’ve got an England shirt on. Spurs pay their wages and it is to Spurs that they return when the World Cup’s over. Prancing around in an England shirt for a few weeks does not changes their Spursness for me.

Oh, if they leave Spurs and join another club, I hate them less, certainly. I hate Kyle Walker about 15% less now that he plays for City, for instance.
    And the thing is that they are still Spurs players when they’ve got an England shirt on. Spurs pay their wages and it is to Spurs that they return when the World Cup’s over. Prancing around in an England shirt for a few weeks does not changes their Spursness for me.
    What if the opposition had more Spurs players in it than the England team?

Oh good god, so do I. The veryword brings me out in a rash. I would only go to a party to get out of going to a wedding.
    My wife occasionally requires me to attend social events and I’m afraid it now causes me to behave quite badly. I will sulk for days beforehand, building to a crescendo of petulant resentment that almost always culminates in a row. And then we’ll get there and I’ll be sweetness and light, of course, as the muscle memory of sociability kicks in.

I’m not proud of it, but I do just hate it so much these days.