Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
For me, Clive, it's simply about intellectual integrity and consistency.

I'd compare it to people like Jorge who quite clearly want Brexit to end badly because it will validate their own political ideology. That's obviously a pretty contemptible position to take, but it's one that is at least loyal to his driving motivation (to be proven right). The real crime is the lack of intellectual integrity he shows by denying that this is his true, guiding motive.

Now, you could say I am similarly contemptible for wanting the country of my birth to lose a football game because I don't like some of the players. But I'm at least being consistent to my true, guiding motive (to see players I hate lose). And the only negative consequence is that England lose a football game.

I'd have thought that would be forgivable, if not understandable to those less bothered by such trifling matters as intellectual consistency and integrity
The point that you continue to miss - or at least fail to address - is that anyone who 'hates' a person they have never met in their lives and know virtually nothing about, because of the football club they play for is socially dysfunctional, thick, immature or some combination of all three.

I only 'hate' that Harry Kane makes Spurs a better team, I don't 'hate' Harry Kane. So when he plays for England I have no issue with him at all.

BTW, I think you're all three.