Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    you pair of dirty, dirty bástards.

You see, I could take or leave someone like Darren Anderton in an England shirt. When he was actually wearing a football shirt, of course. Or even someone like the greasy-haired Ian Walker.

But not Teddy.
    To be fair, Darren Anderson rarely actually played for Spurs.

I dont really care. I hate Spurs. I hate whoever pulls on the shirt and I hate them because they are wearing it.

As soon as they are not, it doesnt bother me. And I liked that England side under Venables and Hoddle. Even with Gary Neville in it.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    you pair of dirty, dirty bástards.

You see, I could take or leave someone like Darren Anderton in an England shirt. When he was actually wearing a football shirt, of course. Or even someone like the greasy-haired Ian Walker.

But not Teddy.
    You still call him Teddy though :repressed:

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    You still call him Teddy though :repressed:
    quicker to type that, than his surname. Should have used **** instead, tbh
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

There was something about Sheringham celebrating wildly having scored the consolation goal for Portsmouth when we had been 5-0 up that really impressed me. He absolutely hated us. I can respect that
    He certainly enjoyed winding us up. I can respect that as well.

I think you and me are just spectacularly unintellectual, LA. You're drunk so you have an excuse....

There was something about Sheringham celebrating wildly having scored the consolation goal for Portsmouth when we had been 5-0 up that really impressed me. He absolutely hated us. I can respect that
    I must admit I was quite impressed by that, too. I actually kind of liked him after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He certainly enjoyed winding us up. I can respect that as well.

I think you and me are just spectacularly unintellectual, LA. You're drunk so you have an excuse....
    thank you p - I think I may just go the pub

thank you p - I think I may just go the pub
    I'm going in about half an hour. Its lovely in town now England are out of the WorldCup

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    All very nice, a, but you fail to spot the glaring contradiction at the heart of your argument.

You admit that you find this England team preferable to its predecessors containing said ‘thùndercûnts’. In doing so, you concede that your affection or otherwise for England teams is negotiable based on the individuals they contain. Which means that, in essence, you concede that the principle underpinning my distaste for this England team is valid. You are, in other words, no different to me in principle, we just happen to have different criteria.

Speaking personally, though, what really bothers me about England football teams is the sheer level of conformity they tap into. I’ve always despised unthinking, reflexive conformity and that is at the heart of what you choose to call my misanthopy. That isn’t to say I’m not outwardly conformist in many respects, but I can say with my hand on my heart that where I conform, it is as a consequence of thought and self-examination. So for instance, I am patriotic because there are many things about this country which are admirable and worth defending. However, those things do not include a mediocre football team teeming with Spurs shítcùnts. And, if I may say so, I find the notion of assessing patriotism based on support for a sports team patently ludicrous. And it’s no less ludicrous when you propose it than when Norman Tebbit does.

For natural-born conformists who have never examined an idea in their lives, of course, England supporting in World Cups is second nature. They are quite able to reconcile hating Spurs 204 weeks out of 208 and then cheering on ‘Harry’ and ‘Alli’ the other four because they’ve never actually bothered thinking about it. Confront them with the parent absurdity of their position and they become enraged and start indulging in convoluted post-rationalisations for their own intellectual inconsistency and reflexive conformity. They will attack you because you have not done the same and use as justification for their attacks that millions of people agree with them and not with you. Because, to the conformist, if everyone’s doing it, it must be right.

I’m afraid I’m just not built that way.
    Actually I did still support those teams full of those over-hyped thundercùnts. At least a bit, but there's a difference between having reservations, which might lead to quietly being indifferent about their results and success, and loudly calling for their defeat and trollishly revelling in it when it happens, and issuing proclaimations against those who have supported them (albeit in your case, I understand, in some jest). Monty's claims of intellectual consistency are at best misguided and at worst non-sensical but others have worked through that one.

I certainly respect your sense of non-conformity, as something of a non-comformist myself when it comes to certain matters of national pride (where we will often disagree), but I do generally support English and somtimes British sport as a default position - as my local team in international competition, even though I have much admired football teams from France, Germany and elsewhere in the last couple of decades. I have pride in my support for Arsenal because of family roots in both Woolwich and Islington, and without local support where would many teams be? I'm not saying that supporting England at football should be compulsory or expected, just that there's no need to go too far the other way and cùnt people off who do, and rub their faces in England's inevitable defeat when it happens.

Slight aside: I remember the Septic Arsenal blogger 7amkickoff (who sometimes writes some good stuff tbf) doing a piece about how someone he knew over there was supporting Leicester in their season of glory, and how he could say nothing to suggest that supporting Arsenal was a good idea, because Leicester were, at that moment, better than us. 7amkickoff is what you might call a leftist internationalist who seemingly despises the 'parochial/chauvinist' notions of both international competition and support for a local club team. What he didn't seem to grasp was that if everyone only supported the best teams, then why would any of the other teams even exist? I wanted him to understand that some of us support Arsenal because of geographical and family connections to the club, and even if/when we are shít, the club will get new fans because of these historical and geographical connections.

I wasn't getting all Norman Tebbit btw, not least because you strongly identify as English and support England at cricket

And please don't claim to have 'won' a debate before it has finished. There's a good chap.
    Last edited by Ash; 07-12-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Actually I did still support those teams full of those over-hyped thundercùnts. At least a bit, but there's a difference between having reservations, which might lead to quietly being indifferent about their results and success, and loudly calling for their defeat and trollishly revelling in it when it happens, and issuing proclaimations against those who have supported them (albeit in your case, I understand, in some jest). Monty's claims of intellectual consistency are at best misguided and at worst non-sensical but others have worked through that one.

I certainly respect your sense of non-conformity, as something of a non-comformist myself when it comes to certain matters of national pride (where we will often disagree), but I do generally support English and somtimes British sport as a default position - as my local team in international competition, even though I have much admired football teams from France, Germany and elsewhere in the last couple of decades. I have pride in my support for Arsenal because of family roots in both Woolwich and Islington, and without local support where would many teams be? I'm not saying that supporting England at football should be compulsory or expected, just that there's no need to go too far the other way and cùnt people off who do, and rub their faces in England's inevitable defeat when it happens.

Slight aside: I remember the Septic Arsenal blogger 7amkickoff (who sometimes writes some good stuff tbf) doing a piece about how someone he knew over there was supporting Leicester in their season of glory, and how he could say nothing to suggest that supporting Arsenal was a good idea, because Leicester were, at that moment, better than us. 7amkickoff is what you might call a leftist internationalist who seemingly despises the 'parochial/chauvinist' notions of both international competition and support for a local club team. What he didn't seem to grasp was that if everyone only supported the best teams, then why would any of the other teams even exist? I wanted him to understand that some of us support Arsenal because of geographical and family connections to the club, and even if/when we are shít, the club will get new fans because of these historical and geographical connections.

I wasn't getting all Norman Tebbit btw, not least because you strongly identify as English and support England at cricket

And please don't claim to have 'won' a debate before it has finished. There's a good chap.
    Speaking of these connections. Did you notice Danny Bakers recent tweet on the subject ?

https://twitter.com/prodnose/status/1017180979411243009

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Speaking of these connections. Did you notice Danny Bakers recent tweet on the subject ?

https://twitter.com/prodnose/status/1017180979411243009
    An interesting contribution to the debate but one doesn't have to be quite so fundamentalist about it. I'm not schlepping down to Charlton every other week when I can just stroll down the Holloway Road.

But then again, why else would anyone support Millwall?