Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Donald absolutely ripping into the krauts, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Everyone apologise for torture and oppression under the right circumstances. Consider the immediate post war period from Russia's point of view. The war was no picnic for them.....

**** the Germans and **** leaving a bloody great big gap of **** all between you and them.

Admittedly, you would think they might cool off over the next 20-30 years but then the Cold War was in full swing until Rocky IV came along and solved it.

You people will never understand Russia.
    You think that the events behind the iron curtain between 1945 and 1989 were in some way understandable because... Germany?

Madness.

Everyone apologise for torture and oppression under the right circumstances. Consider the immediate post war period from Russia's point of view. The war was no picnic for them.....

**** the Germans and **** leaving a bloody great big gap of **** all between you and them.

Admittedly, you would think they might cool off over the next 20-30 years but then the Cold War was in full swing until Rocky IV came along and solved it.

You people will never understand Russia.
    Well clearly you only understand Russia as far back as 1918 and the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Prior to that (including in 1914), the traffic was very much more frequently from East to West than vice versa. Russia is the historical aggressor in Eastern Europe.
    Last edited by Burney; 07-11-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You think that the events behind the iron curtain between 1945 and 1989 were in some way understandable because... Germany?

Madness.
    Really? THis coming from a country whose population, even today, are unable to celebrate a football win without singing songs about German bombers?

Soviet Union deaths from WW2- 20 million plus
    British deaths from WW2- circa 450,000

We like to parade ourselves as the sole defenders against Hitler's aggression when most of the war was fought elsewhere at far greater cost to others.

I did accept they could have calmed down earlier but madness? If so, largely justifiable madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well clearly you only understand Russia as far back as 1918 and the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Prior to that (including in 1914), the traffic was very much more frequently from East to West than vice versa. Russia is the historical aggressor in Eastern Europe.
    Clearly I am only referring to Russia as far back as 1918. Dont assume my understanding is limited to the point I am currently making.

I mean, it may well be, but it is rather rude to assume it.....

Really? THis coming from a country whose population, even today, are unable to celebrate a football win without singing songs about German bombers?

We like to parade ourselves as the sole defenders against Hitler's aggression when most of the war was fought elsewhere at far greater cost to others.

I did accept they could have calmed down earlier but madness? If so, largely justifiable madness.
    Justify the madness from 1917 - 1939 please?

I think we tend to parade ourselves as the sole defenders against Hitler' aggression because for the crucial year between June 1940 and June 1941 (during which your Russki chums were engaged in a badly misjudged and morally indefensible non-aggression pact with Germany) we and our Commonwealth and Empire were.

Hope this helps.

I think we tend to parade ourselves as the sole defenders against Hitler' aggression because for the crucial year between June 1940 and June 1941 (during which your Russki chums were engaged in a badly misjudged and morally indefensible non-aggression pact with Germany) we and our Commonwealth and Empire were.

Hope this helps.
    That limp dick Tusk has tried to have a pop back at the D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    That limp dick Tusk has tried to have a pop back at the D.

Oh, God! Has he really tried to make out that the US needs its European allies more than they need him? Oooooooh, I'm actually embarrassed for him.

Hope this helps.
    That was tactical, anything but misjudged and no more morally indefensible than our attempts to appease the lunatic for the three years before he unleashed hell.

You are also conveniently ignoring the Soviet Union's repeated attempts to communicate with Britain in the months leading up to that pact and Britain's reluctance to enter into conversation (let alone alliance) with a bunch of commies. One could describe that as pretty ill judged but wepresent it as our own period of particular heroism. what we actually did was sit defending our island while our commonwealth and empire forces crumbled, including losing Singapore andaround 80,000 troops to about 300 Japanese soldiers on bicycles.

They set up home ion Raffles, b. In ****ing Raffles!

That was tactical, anything but misjudged and no more morally indefensible than our attempts to appease the lunatic for the three years before he unleashed hell.

You are also conveniently ignoring the Soviet Union's repeated attempts to communicate with Britain in the months leading up to that pact and Britain's reluctance to enter into conversation (let alone alliance) with a bunch of commies. One could describe that as pretty ill judged but wepresent it as our own period of particular heroism. what we actually did was sit defending our island while our commonwealth and empire forces crumbled, including losing Singapore andaround 80,000 troops to about 300 Japanese soldiers on bicycles.

They set up home ion Raffles, b. In ****ing Raffles!
    You think the pact wasn't misjudged on Russia's part? Despite the fact that it resulted in Germany damn near taking Moscow and killing 20 million Russians? Wow.

And I hardly think Britain's attempt to avoid war - morally dubious as it was - can be compared with Russia's cynical and murderous carving up of Poland.

And yes, we did have some issues with the idea of entering into any sort of alliance with a murderous and demonstrably untrustworthy regime that was busy slaughtering its citizens and was clearly ideologically opposed to everything we stood for.

Meanwhile, your representation of the war in the Far East is pretty ludicrous given that the 14th Army under Slim repeatedly battered and ultimately defeated the Japanese subsequent to the Fall of Singapore, including handing their army their first major defeats of the war at Kohima and Imphal.