Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Queen to miss Louis' christening. The old boiler is on her way I tells ya. So if we

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    And half the Hanoverians.

The institution is immensely popular, with the William and Harry's generation having done an awful lot to shore up that popularity. Charles is never going to be loved in the way HMTQ is, but he'll be tolerated - and he won't be around that long.

How old is Charlie....70? He could eek out a solid 10 years on the throne. Personally, I would have preferred that it go straight to William. Probably can't happen, can it?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    How old is Charlie....70? He could eek out a solid 10 years on the throne. Personally, I would have preferred that it go straight to William. Probably can't happen, can it?
    Given the whole hereditary nature of monarchy, no.

And ten years would be fine. He couldn't do too much damage in that short a period.

In the case of Her Majesty's passing (which God forbid), I should have to put aside my tribal club loyalties and support the England team in Her honour.
    Capital H for Her, b?

And you banging on all the time about the Glorious Rev heroically ending all that divine right nonsense.*

Yet now you capitalise her pronoun as if she was the Good Lord Almighty** Him/Herself.

Were you just confusing the royal 'we' or do you genuinely believe that an accident of birth makes HMQ/HMK as important as the infinite, eternal, omnipotent hyper-intelligence of Pure Love which you probably don't really believe in anyway?***

*Which I do agree with you with, btw. I'm a long C18th fanatic since doing it for a-level. Glorious Rev was one of the greatest events in our history.

**Parmatma ek hai, as we say in in India. All God is One.

***Actually, I have no idea about your spiritual beliefs. Apologies for making assumptions. I would have seen you as a CofE type of chap, but I can't see you sharing a religion with all those lefty bishops. The Vedic path is always open to you, B. You can prove anything with Hinduism. You could murder all the Corbynistas and basically say the Bhagavad Gita told you to if you honestly believe they are the baddies who must be thwarted, for example.

I just embraced it cos Shiva believes in getting off His head all the time to obtain enlightenment. He went on a 13,000 year bender to get Parvati her ear jewel (Manikaran) back. Says so in big letters on the temple there.

And half the Hanoverians.

The institution is immensely popular, with the William and Harry's generation having done an awful lot to shore up that popularity. Charles is never going to be loved in the way HMTQ is, but he'll be tolerated - and he won't be around that long.
    *******s. Hanoverians were ace, with the exception of Georgie IV.

G1 - let parl take control after South Sea bubble.
    G2 - first king to stick with a PM instead of changing party. Keeping Walpole cemented the concept of PM. Also last King to lead GB troops into battle.
    G3 - told the Septics to ƒuck off and abolished the slave trade while defeating Boney and going mad.
    W4 - Great Reform Act and emancipation.

Even G4 was a bit of a giggle.

Hanoverians are ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Capital H for Her, b?

And you banging on all the time about the Glorious Rev heroically ending all that divine right nonsense.*

Yet now you capitalise her pronoun as if she was the Good Lord Almighty** Him/Herself.

Were you just confusing the royal 'we' or do you genuinely believe that an accident of birth makes HMQ/HMK as important as the infinite, eternal, omnipotent hyper-intelligence of Pure Love which you probably don't really believe in anyway?***

*Which I do agree with you with, btw. I'm a long C18th fanatic since doing it for a-level. Glorious Rev was one of the greatest events in our history.

**Parmatma ek hai, as we say in in India. All God is One.

***Actually, I have no idea about your spiritual beliefs. Apologies for making assumptions. I would have seen you as a CofE type of chap, but I can't see you sharing a religion with all those lefty bishops. The Vedic path is always open to you, B. You can prove anything with Hinduism. You could murder all the Corbynistas and basically say the Bhagavad Gita told you to if you honestly believe they are the baddies who must be thwarted, for example.

I just embraced it cos Shiva believes in getting off His head all the time to obtain enlightenment. He went on a 13,000 year bender to get Parvati her ear jewel (Manikaran) back. Says so in big letters on the temple there.
    She is Queen by Grace of God (as any hereditary monarch must claim to be - otherwise what possible justification can there be?), but that does not afford Her divine rights.

And I am a Catholic atheist who believes that Europe's rise is written in the terms of Christianity and Monarchy, but Europe's decay in the terms of Republicanism, Progressivism and Godlessness.

She is Queen by Grace of God (as any hereditary monarch must claim to be - otherwise what possible justification can there be?), but that does not afford Her divine rights.

And I am a Catholic atheist who believes that Europe's rise is written in the terms of Christianity and Monarchy, but Europe's decay in the terms of Republicanism, Progressivism and Godlessness.
    I agree that Catholic Christendom led to the unity that underpins all western progress.

Though interestingly, the Renasissance and the Reformation both coincide to lead to the Enlightenment.

This enlightenment reduced respect for both monarchy and church, leading the French Republicanism and GB progress that together caused the European dominance in the C19th*, both of which you somehow claim are to blame for Europe's decay.

Don't follow you on that bit, I'm afraid.

*Europe's role as top dog ended when Continental-sized economies proved more powerful than the much smaller modern nation states on the continent (or those whose empires had to be given up.)

So it's almost like the EU, with its mix of republics and constitutional monarchies, of proddies and papists, but definitely a continental sized economy based on the values of the enlightenment and GB parl democracy was the best hope of defending that which you love - albeit something which is changing faster than you like as is always the case with conservatives and progress.