Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gin though. Isn't it a bit, you know...thin? Like a nice drink of water.

Looooooooooooooool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    A ladydrink, if you will?

Scotch. That's a full-bodied drink for a gentleman; ideally enjoyed with a splash of soda, ironically.

Gin. Tonic. Lemon. What a fundamentally gay performance all that is.
    Have you any idea what original tonic tasted like? When it was basically just liquid quinine?

How on earth could we govern the natives/suppress my forebears with us getting malaria all the time?

If you consider it fundamentally gay for a small company from Leadenhall Street to take over an entire sub-continent, or their successors persuading 2.5m Indians to volunteer to give the Japs biggest kicking in Jap history, could you please define "heterosexual" for me?

Wouldn't have thought I'd have to flog you the imperial angle, C.

Or the Glorious Revolution.

We only drink Gin cos Billy O brought it over to liberate us from Divine Right papist oppression (or at least the fear of it). That's why us Brits drink Gin. Though we were a bit too patriotic - hence Hogarth's Gin Lane half a century later.

Like Special Brew - the drink brewed to thank us for liberating Europe in WW2 - Gin and G&T celebrate the birth of modern parliamentary democracy and the slaughter and economic exploitation of loads of Indians (but at least we taught them English so I can spend **** loads of time there chatting to locals while only picking the basics of the lingo. Though my missus speaks it conversationally now, that wouldn't have happened if they she hadn't had native anglophones to help her learn.}

No G&T, no Gandhi. I rest my case.

(And all my mates from Kashmir to Kerala would be speaking Ruskie or Jap which, however much I hate our empire, is a fück sight worse.}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Have you any idea what original tonic tasted like? When it was basically just liquid quinine?

How on earth could we govern the natives/suppress my forebears with us getting malaria all the time?

If you consider it fundamentally gay for a small company from Leadenhall Street to take over an entire sub-continent, or their successors persuading 2.5m Indians to volunteer to give the Japs biggest kicking in Jap history, could you please define "heterosexual" for me?

Wouldn't have thought I'd have to flog you the imperial angle, C.

Or the Glorious Revolution.

We only drink Gin cos Billy O brought it over to liberate us from Divine Right papist oppression (or at least the fear of it). That's why us Brits drink Gin. Though we were a bit too patriotic - hence Hogarth's Gin Lane half a century later.

Like Special Brew - the drink brewed to thank us for liberating Europe in WW2 - Gin and G&T celebrate the birth of modern parliamentary democracy and the slaughter and economic exploitation of loads of Indians (but at least we taught them English so I can spend **** loads of time there chatting to locals while only picking the basics of the lingo. Though my missus speaks it conversationally now, that wouldn't have happened if they she hadn't had native anglophones to help her learn.}

No G&T, no Gandhi. I rest my case.

(And all my mates from Kashmir to Kerala would be speaking Ruskie or Jap which, however much I hate our empire, is a fück sight worse.}
    My dear chap, you mustn't misunderstand me; heaven forbid I should ever belittle the achievements of England's sons and daughters who built our magnificent empire. I am an eager student of the trials they underwent, from Malaya to India, from Africa to the Caribbean, the empire was built by people who were absolutely rock hard whilst remaining, in the most, wise and compassionate. Truly, they were the finest of Englishmen and we are wuite right to be proud of them and hold them in the highest esteem. Like many Indians I know, my greatest regret is that our glorious empire was forcibly dismantled by Yankee bullying when we were at our weakest, having saved the world from Nazism.

I merely contend that these superhumans drank gin and tonic for medicinal purposes only, and that their drink of choice was the whisky and soda, known in the East as the stengah.

No gentleman would drink gin as a matter of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    My dear chap, you mustn't misunderstand me; heaven forbid I should ever belittle the achievements of England's sons and daughters who built our magnificent empire. I am an eager student of the trials they underwent, from Malaya to India, from Africa to the Caribbean, the empire was built by people who were absolutely rock hard whilst remaining, in the most, wise and compassionate. Truly, they were the finest of Englishmen and we are wuite right to be proud of them and hold them in the highest esteem. Like many Indians I know, my greatest regret is that our glorious empire was forcibly dismantled by Yankee bullying when we were at our weakest, having saved the world from Nazism.

I merely contend that these superhumans drank gin and tonic for medicinal purposes only, and that their drink of choice was the whisky and soda, known in the East as the stengah.

No gentleman would drink gin as a matter of choice.
    Disagree.

Only the Brits managed to turn an empire-winning medicine into a palatable aperitif in the colonies as well as also allowing ladies to accompany their menfolk to the pub back home during less enlightened times. Totty wasn't allowed to drink beer, see, so without G&T they'd have had to stay home to do embroidery like in the dark ages.

Also, when leaving your truck at teknival for a brief wander, a pint of strong gin and tonic was often the drink of choice. We'd get through gallons.

Other favourites of mind are the Ramos Gin Fizz and the Mai Tai.

Thoughts on these Sir C

I’ll be in Basel in a few weeks so will have my regular Remember the Maine at the 3 Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Brandy and soda was the proper chap's drink. Whisky was a touch louche. Either way, you're still a rotter for being beastly about gin and tonic.
    At last the one true drink, although not strictly a drink as it is it's own food group. Acceptably consumed at any time of the day or night.

And never with soda, sometimes an ice cube. Just one and very small