Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The greatest trick Southgate has pulled is in creating what is basically a carbon

The greatest trick Southgate has pulled is in creating what is basically a carbon

copy of the Wimbledon sides of the mid-90s (ie not the good one but the one that kept them up each year) and people seem to like it. This side has almost no creativity outside set-pieces and relying on Trippier and Young crosses

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    copy of the Wimbledon sides of the mid-90s (ie not the good one but the one that kept them up each year) and people seem to like it. This side has almost no creativity outside set-pieces and relying on Trippier and Young crosses
    They do look a bit... ordinary, don't they? Obviously they are to be applauded for making the best of limited resources, but it's not exactly scintillating to watch.

I suspect the game against Sweden will be a dull off. They will essentially try to bore each other into submission.

Trippier and Young appear, in their own minds, to have invented themselves as some kind of dead ball experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    They do look a bit... ordinary, don't they? Obviously they are to be applauded for making the best of limited resources, but it's not exactly scintillating to watch.

I suspect the game against Sweden will be a dull off. They will essentially try to bore each other into submission.
    I suspect Swedish players might be clever enough not to rugby tackle Harry Kane in the penalty area. We may struggle to score

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Trippier and Young appear, in their own minds, to have invented themselves as some kind of dead ball experts.
    ****s the pair of them. We used to have Gary Neville and Ashley Cole; Anderson and Sansom; Pearce and Dixon - proper full backs

That’s why I think Sweden will have a good chance against them. They’ll be able to cope with them at set-pieces and cause a few problems going the other way. It’s saying something when the most creative thing you’ve got your team doing is lining up in a line on corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    That’s why I think Sweden will have a good chance against them. They’ll be able to cope with them at set-pieces and cause a few problems going the other way. It’s saying something when the most creative thing you’ve got your team doing is lining up in a line on corners.
    I don't blame him for playing to his strengths and at least they do some set piece work (the one against Panama was excellent), but yes, Sweden will be ready for it - looked pretty solid yesterday

****s the pair of them. We used to have Gary Neville and Ashley Cole; Anderson and Sansom; Pearce and Dixon - proper full backs
    I am a fan of neither as both individuals and also as footballers however I think to a degree Southgate has been clever tactically, playing 2 of his current back 3 would leave them exposed to a moment of pure Stones-ness or perhaps Maguire romping up the pitch like a building site equivalent of Ruud Krol.

The current trio with the undoubted pace of Walker, allied with the two lads who are essentially wingers, also allows them to compensate for an extremely bang ordinary and workmanlike midfield. Your Lingaard and Alli characters last night for example, anonymous. Henderson I cannot figure out and Dier when he came on just looked incompetent yet emerges a hero.

And here we are, extremely likely to be 90 minutes from a World Cup final and in the way a Croatia side who could in the mood teach them a lesson, or as I fear could be ‘bored’ into a very low scoring who takes their chance and progresses event.

I am worried LA. I do not mind admitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I recall a few nice passages of play, the header that Kane missed in the first half, Rose going close and Dier's header in the ET. Not a lot I agree but Colombia are a good side whom the referee allowed to be very physical. They were always going to be difficult to break down.

Nonetheless, England completely controlled the game other than the first half of ET.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I recall a few nice passages of play, the header that Kane missed in the first half, Rose going close and Dier's header in the ET. Not a lot I agree but Colombia are a good side whom the referee allowed to be very physical. They were always going to be difficult to break down.

Nonetheless, England completely controlled the game other than the first half of ET.
    I thought Colombia were disappointing - far too defensive and when they decided to give it a go in that first half of extra time they looked dangerous. Anyway - their problem. Still think we lack guile