Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there other countries where a large section of the population would take great

Are there other countries where a large section of the population would take great

delight in the team representing their country in a major sports tournament the way they do in England? I think it's a peculiar english thing.

Or is it actually an Arsenal fan thing? as most other people I speak to who support different clubs (who also hate spurs) want England to win.

Even if it wasn't full of Harry Kane types I am sure the sentiment would be the same.

LA does this happen in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    delight in the team representing their country in a major sports tournament the way they do in England? I think it's a peculiar english thing.

Or is it actually an Arsenal fan thing? as most other people I speak to who support different clubs (who also hate spurs) want England to win.

Even if it wasn't full of Harry Kane types I am sure the sentiment would be the same.

I certainly remember United fans a few years ago feeling exactly the same about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I certainly remember United fans a few years ago feeling exactly the same about it.
    has it always been like this or more recently?

I'd like England to win

Delighted Germany are out, nothing to do with any dislike for them, purely we get Ozil for a full pre-season. Switzerland to get knocked out next and all is good

has it always been like this or more recently?
    I can't really speak for anyone else, but the England team has never really done it for me. I've always found England teams deeply unattractive.

The Germans take to their bloody cars following a tournament win. Parading about their streets like some euphoric panza division..

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I can't really speak for anyone else, but the England team has never really done it for me. I've always found England teams deeply unattractive.
    I was never that interested until we had the Rocky, Tony Adams generation and had a few players in the side. As I didn't live that far from Wembley (and in the direction that was easier to get away from) I used to go to most games. Pretty much lost interest now. Last game I went to was probably the Holland 4-1 - doubt I will ever see an England team play that well again against such good opposition anyway

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    The Germans take to their bloody cars following a tournament win. Parading about their streets like some euphoric panza division..
    Not just the Germans - the Swiss were out in force on Friday (although it may actually have been Albanians...) Had to walk past a bloody samba band on my way to the pub last night - noisy ****ers

If you mean does the country go crazy for the national team then over here they do. It’s all you ****ing hear about during a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I'd like England to win

Delighted Germany are out, nothing to do with any dislike for them, purely we get Ozil for a full pre-season. Switzerland to get knocked out next and all is good
    I’m more worried about Uruguay going out to be honest. I want Torreira to get a decent preseason.