Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've come around to this Saddleworth Moor fire thingy now.

I've come around to this Saddleworth Moor fire thingy now.

I think it's quite cool to have a big chunk of the north on fire. We don't get enough of this sort of spectacular natural disaster in this country. And it's not like it's happening anywhere good or important, so I'm all in favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think it's quite cool to have a big chunk of the north on fire. We don't get enough of this sort of spectacular natural disaster in this country. And it's not like it's happening anywhere good or important, so I'm all in favour.
    Might find the odd missing body when it's all over.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Might find the odd missing body when it's all over.
    Yes. And it must be nice for Saddleworth Moor to be famous for something other than dead kids for once.

Yes. And it must be nice for Saddleworth Moor to be famous for something other than dead kids for once.
    In Südafrika we have this problem a lot. The solution tends to be a simple one; three helicopters with massive buckets hanging beneath work in a relay system, ferrying water from the sea/river/lake to the fire & opening the buckets when above it.

This fire would have been sorted within 2 or 3 hours over there. We have plenty of helicopters here - why am I still seeing pictures of people using fire beaters to try and contain it. Clearly that is not going to work, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In Südafrika we have this problem a lot. The solution tends to be a simple one; three helicopters with massive buckets hanging beneath work in a relay system, ferrying water from the sea/river/lake to the fire & opening the buckets when above it.

This fire would have been sorted within 2 or 3 hours over there. We have plenty of helicopters here - why am I still seeing pictures of people using fire beaters to try and contain it. Clearly that is not going to work, is it?
    They're using a helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    They're using a helicopter.
    I have just seen that. Note that they are using 'a' helicopter. You need 3 - 5 working on a relay or the fire just starts up again while the helicopter goes to fetch more water.

Also, the helicopter & bucket they're using is tiny. You need a bucket about 4 times that size & therefore several more powerful helicopters too. We have lots of Chinooks, ffs. They'd be fine for the job so long as there is somewhere to tie the buckets.

It is slightly complicated by the fact that it is a peat moor (something you don't have in South Africa). Peat, when dry, is used as fuel. The ground itself is burning.

It is slightly complicated by the fact that it is a peat moor (something you don't have in South Africa). Peat, when dry, is used as fuel. The ground itself is burning.
    Still, I can't help but feel that flooding the moor with millions of gallons of water would help more than a few people hitting the flames with sticks.

Still, I can't help but feel that flooding the moor with millions of gallons of water would help more than a few people hitting the flames with sticks.
    Well it may amaze you to learn this, r, but the north-west of England isn't especially well-equipped to cope with drought and bushfires. In much the same way that I suspect the South African authorities probably don't have a lot of snowploughs or gritters.

How many peat based moors do you have in SA??? The fire is burning underground due to the fact that not only the grass burns but so does the soil
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar