Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So the US, Canada and Mexico get the 2026 World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I was just thinking that, even a Siberian Tiger. Don't really think of Russia and Wolves
    And why is he wearing goggles?

The 1994 World Cup killed football in America and Canada once and for all, I think.

There actually was a very good build up, loads of adds showing brilliant skill, the media was all over it, I think that despite the fact that football is the polar opposite of the traditional North American sports in pretty much every way, the public was actually hoping to be taken in by it.

Then they saw two traditional powerhouses in the final and thought 'this is really going to be a fantastic game!'.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    The 1994 World Cup killed football in America and Canada once and for all, I think.

There actually was a very good build up, loads of adds showing brilliant skill, the media was all over it, I think that despite the fact that football is the polar opposite of the traditional North American sports in pretty much every way, the public was actually hoping to be taken in by it.

Then they saw two traditional powerhouses in the final and thought 'this is really going to be a fantastic game!'.
    Could it kill a sport in canada that has hardly been a big sport at any stage there? Football in the States is doing betternow than it was in 1994... which is strange as the USA doesn't reaaly embrace any sport it isn't very good at
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Could it kill a sport in canada that has hardly been a big sport at any stage there? Football in the States is doing betternow than it was in 1994... which is strange as the USA doesn't reaaly embrace any sport it isn't very good at
    It's the most popular participation sport in Canada and growing fast, so not quite sure of how it was killed though

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    It's the most popular participation sport in Canada and growing fast, so not quite sure of how it was killed though
    Hard to kill something that wasn't even alive in 1994..... Football in the states gets more coverage now than when it was a gimic in the 70's
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I was going to go to that World Cup with a few mates. Koeman and Bergkamp put paid to that. "I'm a metre"

Ended up spending three weeks in LA during which was the OJ trial ("Let loose the Juice"). There was still a lot of racial tension following the Rodney King acquittals.

We got on speaking terms with a gang of black geezers just off Sunset, one of which was murdered during our stay.

Interesting times.

Still, the black guys introduced me to Old English 800 I accidentally trod on Danny de Vito in a hotel corridor (his 'people' weren't very happy and neither was he, the fúcking short-arsed ****) and shared a flight with Coolio and his entourage.

None of the people we met had any real knowledge of the World Cup just happening in their own, very large and concretey, back yard at Pasadena.

Stupid fúcking Americans. Football is wasted on them imo
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

It's quite popular. my cousin has been watching the premier league for years and good choice he picked to support Arsenal.

Toronto FC are quite popular.

TSN and Sports net show all the premier league games. Craig Forrest in the studio.

Though it's strange to have world cups without having a host team be in it. Canada won't qualify.

Does Qatar have a team?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    It's quite popular. my cousin has been watching the premier league for years and good choice he picked to support Arsenal.

Toronto FC are quite popular.

TSN and Sports net show all the premier league games. Craig Forrest in the studio.
    And so is Steven Caldwell quite a lot for some reason (I think he must have played out there) Arsenal must be popular - it's often TSN that my local pub has the game on when we are playing
    Last edited by Luis Anaconda; 06-13-2018 at 01:54 PM.

And so is Steven Caldwell quite a lot for some reason (I think he must have played out there.") Arsenal must be popular - it's often TSN that my local pub has the game on when we are playing
    Whoever it is that streams TSN onto the internet for free does a decent job imo. Good quality picture and hardly ever hangs.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”