Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MovieWimb - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missourri.

MovieWimb - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missourri.

Terrific stuff. Real good. It's got that Coen Brothers lady in it and she's well good. I liked it very much.

By the way, there was some controversy about if when it was released because one of the main characters is 'racist' and, even worse, his redemption was deemed to be too easy. This view was expressed not only by The Guardian and many of its readers, but by the New York Times and shít like that. All these people are ****s and, more importantly, as thick as mince.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Terrific stuff. Real good. It's got that Coen Brothers lady in it and she's well good. I liked it very much.

By the way, there was some controversy about if when it was released because one of the main characters is 'racist' and, even worse, his redemption was deemed to be too easy. This view was expressed not only by The Guardian and many of its readers, but by the New York Times and shít like that. All these people are ****s and, more importantly, as thick as mince.
    My deputy editor was complaining that the racist didn’t get his ‘comeuppance’.

These people think everything should be a pantomime.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    My deputy editor was complaining that the racist didn’t get his ‘comeuppance’.

These people think everything should be a pantomime.
    There are two points here:

1. Once you are introduced to that character and experience his range of flaws, plumping for 'racist' to describe him shows a degree of obsession which suggests psychiatric help ought to be sought.

2. If you see what that character goes through en route to his redemption and don't think that a sufficient trial, you're a fúcking sick maniac.

The other thing is, so fúcking what? It's a story. Surely the storyteller can write whatever story he fancies? Why must a story comply with the required outcomes of the PC brigade? I've answered my own question, really, I suppose.

There are two points here:

1. Once you are introduced to that character and experience his range of flaws, plumping for 'racist' to describe him shows a degree of obsession which suggests psychiatric help ought to be sought.

2. If you see what that character goes through en route to his redemption and don't think that a sufficient trial, you're a fúcking sick maniac.

The other thing is, so fúcking what? It's a story. Surely the storyteller can write whatever story he fancies? Why must a story comply with the required outcomes of the PC brigade? I've answered my own question, really, I suppose.
    I haven’t seen it, only heard the bleatings of my achingly PC colleagues. Essentially, they find the idea that racism or racists can ever be contextualised in such a way that is anything less than utterly condemnatory highly ‘problematic’.

I've watched the first two episodes of Patrick Melrose on Sky Atlantic. Very good indeed, so far.

I'd imagine it is very much like your youth, sc.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I've watched the first two episodes of Patrick Melrose on Sky Atlantic. Very good indeed, so far.

I'd imagine it is very much like your youth, sc.
    Ah yes, I have that recorded. Looking forward to it.

Hold on. He gets bummed as a youth, doesn't he?

like I said . . .
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I read the first book and it was all jolly good fun and then a small boy got bummed off his dad.

I sort of lost interest after that.

I read the first book and it was all jolly good fun and then a small boy got bummed off his dad.
    the family does appear to be somewhat dysfunctional, I'd have to agree.

I sort of lost interest after that.
    I never got bummed off my dad! Who'd told iufg I got bummed off my dad? ;-(