Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CarWIMB - I have roughly £10k to spend

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Point 3. Noted and Point 4. Also noted. I did have a Peugeot 306 once, it was actually rather nice.

Points 1.2. & 5. Also noted, I was thinking at least a 2.0L petrol

On the diesel thing, it that all diesels or will more recent ones be okay? Just thinking of off-loading my wife's 64 plate Tiguain as well
    You're going to find more congestion and emmissions zones which will be nailing diesels. The year won't make much difference.

If I were you I'd consider dumping it if you can. Residual values are fading quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I have no real knowledge of the used car market so can't help much, other than to tell you the current thoughts of those inside the industry:

1. Avoid diesel. The hammering is going to get worse.
    2. From a medium-term taxation point of view, try to move to hybrid.
    3. No one makes a bad car (except the French) any more. Buy the car you want.
    4. See the bit in point 3 about French cars? Read it again and remember it.
    5. Electric cars are for queers and yoghurt-knitters only. (That's mainly my view rather than indusrty-wide.)
    Is point 1 enough to justify a GTI over a GTD? I would have said that at 20,000 miles pa an oil burner would be in the money?

Given what I know about you and cars, I would say, buy the car with the biggest boot on earth. Maybe buy a Transit van?
    Hmmm. I don't think I'm butch enough for a Transit van.

One of those little vans, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Is point 1 enough to justify a GTI over a GTD? I would have said that at 20,000 miles pa an oil burner would be in the money?
    You're definitely better off with a diesel Rich. Yes, You should definitely buy a diesel. In fact, buy two! What could be better than one diesel except two diesels?

Diesel is the way foirward. Your residual value will be fantastic, indeed the car is unlikely ever to lose any value at all. If anything, it will increase in value as the years roll by. And the tax on diesel is definitely going down, since all governments are fully committed to encouraging the use of diesel cars. Also, all those problems manufacturers are having achieving EURO Vl emissions aren't going to result in further scandalous exposes, dear me, not at all.

You must be the daftest chump I ever did encounter, r.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Hmmm. I don't think I'm butch enough for a Transit van.

One of those little vans, maybe?
    Citroen Berlingo. Diesel. Lovely job.

Look, drop the attitude. I need something with performance that will get good mpg on the motorway. A GTI will get about 30mpg on the motorway, I would think.

I wish diesel didn’t exist but it does tend to be more economically viable for those that do big miles.

Tell me I’m wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Look, drop the attitude. I need something with performance that will get good mpg on the motorway. A GTI will get about 30mpg on the motorway, I would think.

I wish diesel didn’t exist but it does tend to be more economically viable for those that do big miles.

Tell me I’m wrong.
    I don't give a fúck what you buy

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    plus trade in my 15 yr old BMW 3 series.

What should I get? Strongly considering just getting a more recent 3 series
    Don't do it. Just like Sonos.

I went down the lease route and couldn't be happier, don't think I'll ever buy again. The key is to get the car that the manufacturers are doing a great deal on, you may need to be patient. No idea why but the way it seems to work is that a manufacturer i.e. VW will release a bunch of cars of a certain model i.e. Golf GTI, and provide or allow (not sure which) great financing and you get a great deal.

I was looking for a Golf GTI as my station car, they seemed to be about £1500 down and £300 a month but I just missed out, they had all gone by the time I was ready to do it. So the chap says to me 'however VW just released a bunch of Scirocco Rs for £280 a month'.

Job done. Excellent car for very little, I took a 3 year lease as the warranty is 3 years so I will always have a car under warranty and every 3 years I get a new one. If you get a deal the numbers are pretty similar to buying, you just have no risk.

Highly recommended. Unlike Sonos which was driving me crazy again the other night.

Citroen Berlingo. Diesel. Lovely job.
    Seriously, though, I've no fvcking clue.

What's the Kia Sportage like? Is it a girl's car? It is, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Seriously, though, I've no fvcking clue.

What's the Kia Sportage like? Is it a girl's car? It is, isn't it?
    It's a good car. It's not quite as good as the previous one. Kia are where Hyundai were 5 years ago.

Look, contact the bloke whose details I gave you, tell him you want 5 doors, big boot so D segment or SUV, petrol or hybrid and let him tell you what deals he has at that moment. You may find that Kia have released a batch of Sportages at silly money, or Lexus have dumped a load of IS250s on him, or whatever. You're in the best position to come by a bargain if you don't care about the car.