Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
I think you're overstating a truth. He does matter but falls more easily into the irritating category than the dangerous category. Unless, of course, you care about the Russian people themselves which I expect few people do.

The problem with Trump is that left to his own devices he could do something really stupid, and not just the infantile posturing which we've seen so far (and that sells really well in the US of A) but something really, really stupid i.e. an all out trade war, that would have a significant impact. So far the intelligent people around him have stopped him doing it but there's always the possibility that at some point they won't be able to or willing to control him.

In fact, two of his recent appointments seem as crazy as he is. We'll laugh at him and enjoy him until it happens, only.
He’s very useful to the status quo merchants because every time electorates do something they don’t like, they can alternately blame Putin or suggest that he’s been made happy by what’s occcurred. It prevents them having to blame themselves and their terrible policies and is intended to scare the public into acquiescence. It doesn’t work.

Trump has many, glaring faults, but millions of people are looking at the mess his more ‘rational’ counterparts are making of pretty much everything and thinking they fancy a bit of that. That ought to give his critics pause for thought.