Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the **** have England dropped Mark Wood??

Why the **** have England dropped Mark Wood??

What a load of old ****....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    What a load of old ****....
    Great example of a bowler who becomes much much better out of the team. People banging on about how he should have played in the Ashes (despite the fact he was injured) do so on the basis that he used to bowl 90mph-plus. Due to injuries he doesn't do that anymore and he doesn't get much movement through the air or off the pitch so basically he just bowls at a nice pace to the middle of the bat. Pretty good reason to drop him. Although I fancy the real reason is that Woakes bolsters the batting

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Great example of a bowler who becomes much much better out of the team. People banging on about how he should have played in the Ashes (despite the fact he was injured) do so on the basis that he used to bowl 90mph-plus. Due to injuries he doesn't do that anymore and he doesn't get much movement through the air or off the pitch so basically he just bowls at a nice pace to the middle of the bat. Pretty good reason to drop him. Although I fancy the real reason is that Woakes bolsters the batting
    He bowls quicker than the rest of the attack and does hit 88-89 fairly regularly. He also bowls a very consistent line. THe issue is getting him to bowl the right length for conditions. He was bowling far too short in New Zealand and when he went fuller he tended to over pitch. They just need to sort that out with him. And he can bat.....

Rather than persevere we return to Woakes......and this Curran lad.

THe recall of Jennings didnt fill me with confidence either.

Child’s play imo...Tymal is still the fastest I’ve seen...get him in there

He bowls quicker than the rest of the attack and does hit 88-89 fairly regularly. He also bowls a very consistent line. THe issue is getting him to bowl the right length for conditions. He was bowling far too short in New Zealand and when he went fuller he tended to over pitch. They just need to sort that out with him. And he can bat.....

Rather than persevere we return to Woakes......and this Curran lad.

THe recall of Jennings didnt fill me with confidence either.
    Blimey - that's a defence so weak Mustafi wouldn't look out of place in it. Your advocacy is more condemning than my criticism. You actually admit he can't bowl it in the right place to challenge a batsman - that's a pretty big flaw. And that pace simply isn't enough to challenge top class batsmen - you need to be 95/96 mph to get in on pace alone and he can't do that

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Child’s play imo...Tymal is still the fastest I’ve seen...get him in there

Can't even get through a T20 game, t. Sad seens last night

Blimey - that's a defence so weak Mustafi wouldn't look out of place in it. Your advocacy is more condemning than my criticism. You actually admit he can't bowl it in the right place to challenge a batsman - that's a pretty big flaw. And that pace simply isn't enough to challenge top class batsmen - you need to be 95/96 mph to get in on pace alone and he can't do that
    Are you drunk? Nobody bowls at 95/96 and I didnt say he cant challenge batsmen. My point was that in some conditions you need to bowl fuller and he needs to work on that to get it right. I am saying there is plenty there to work with and he offers something the others dont.

He is not alone in not bowling full enough when the conditions demand it. Broad and Anderson have regularly been criticised (quite rightly) for the same failures in recent years.

Are you drunk? Nobody bowls at 95/96 and I didnt say he cant challenge batsmen. My point was that in some conditions you need to bowl fuller and he needs to work on that to get it right. I am saying there is plenty there to work with and he offers something the others dont.

He is not alone in not bowling full enough when the conditions demand it. Broad and Anderson have regularly been criticised (quite rightly) for the same failures in recent years.
    Johnson did - Stark can. Rabada can.

These are your own words: The issue is getting him to bowl the right length for conditions. He was bowling far too short in New Zealand and when he went fuller he tended to over pitch.

As I said a pretty big flaw. Broad and Anderson have over 1,500 first class wickets between them - I would suggest they get it right more often than not. Mark Wood is 28 and has 139.

Johnson did - Stark can. Rabada can.

These are your own words: The issue is getting him to bowl the right length for conditions. He was bowling far too short in New Zealand and when he went fuller he tended to over pitch.

As I said a pretty big flaw. Broad and Anderson have over 1,500 first class wickets between them - I would suggest they get it right more often than not. Mark Wood is 28 and has 139.
    In your first test for years I would say it isn't the end of the world. You yourselfsaid Woakes was in to bolster the batting.

I just find it frustrating that he has been discarded after two tests. Back to the same old trundlers who can bolster the batting.

In your first test for years I would say it isn't the end of the world. You yourselfsaid Woakes was in to bolster the batting.

I just find it frustrating that he has been discarded after two tests. Back to the same old trundlers who can bolster the batting.
    I find it very frustrating but don't think Wood is the answer any more. I am actually a big fan of his but I fear injuries have taken the extra bite from his bowling. Woakes is actually a decent player though - better than a trundler. And good to get a left-armer in Curran in there -