Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My feelings about the Irish referendum are a bit like my feelings

My feelings about the Irish referendum are a bit like my feelings

when Spurs used to play one of our fellow title contenders.

You know what would be the right result to favour, but a small part of you can’t help wanting the bad guys to win because of how many ****s it would annoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

You know what would be the right result to favour, but a small part of you can’t help wanting the bad guys to win because of how many ****s it would annoy.
    So you ideally want both sides to lose?

Is the referendum getting much coverage in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Is the referendum getting much coverage in the UK?
    A fair amount, but perhaps not as much as you'd expect given that we're constantly told society is only a few steps away from resembling The Handmaid's Tale.

I think it may be another example of the soft bigotry of low expectations. People expect a country like Ireland to be unreconstructed in its views towards women, whereas the UK and America should know better.

A fair amount, but perhaps not as much as you'd expect given that we're constantly told society is only a few steps away from resembling The Handmaid's Tale.

I think it may be another example of the soft bigotry of low expectations. People expect a country like Ireland to be unreconstructed in its views towards women, whereas the UK and America should know better.
    "People" expect?

THis is more about the enduring influence of the catholic church on Irish law and social attitudes Some people would blame the religion for these unreconstructed views.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    THis is more about the enduring influence of the catholic church on Irish law and social attitudes Some people would blame the religion for these unreconstructed views.....
    Chick canvassed me at lunchtime, asked me if I wanted a sticker to say I had voted (Yes).

I pointed out to her that I had not voted so the sticker would have been false representation. She asked me if I was going to vote later and I responded in the affirmative so she again asked me if I wanted a sticker and I again said No.

She wanted me to lie on behalf of her campaign, and she assumed I was voting on behalf of her campaign.

She wasn’t even a fox.

Chick canvassed me at lunchtime, asked me if I wanted a sticker to say I had voted (Yes).

I pointed out to her that I had not voted so the sticker would have been false representation. She asked me if I was going to vote later and I responded in the affirmative so she again asked me if I wanted a sticker and I again said No.

She wanted me to lie on behalf of her campaign, and she assumed I was voting on behalf of her campaign.

She wasn’t even a fox.
    So, will you be voting? And if so, which way?

She wasn’t even a fox.
    Can she really be a chick AND a fox at the same time though, without seriously mixing the metaphors?

Doesn't the fox get among the chickens, after all? Or am I thinking of cats and pigeons?

Ireland only fully legalised contraception in 1985; decriminalised homosexuality in 1993 and finally allowed divorce in 1995.

Those low expectations are FULLY merited.

Ireland is a backwards dungheap.