Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My feelings about the Irish referendum are a bit like my feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Can she really be a chick AND a fox at the same time though, without seriously mixing the metaphors?

Doesn't the fox get among the chickens, after all? Or am I thinking of cats and pigeons?
    I think it is to do with crossing rivers - you can't have a fox and a chick in the same boat but you can't leave the chick with the food otherwise the fat cow will eat it. I hope this is clear

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Can she really be a chick AND a fox at the same time though, without seriously mixing the metaphors?

Doesn't the fox get among the chickens, after all? Or am I thinking of cats and pigeons?
    Lovely

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Chick canvassed me at lunchtime, asked me if I wanted a sticker to say I had voted (Yes).

I pointed out to her that I had not voted so the sticker would have been false representation. She asked me if I was going to vote later and I responded in the affirmative so she again asked me if I wanted a sticker and I again said No.

She wanted me to lie on behalf of her campaign, and she assumed I was voting on behalf of her campaign.

She wasn’t even a fox.
    Did you stare at her tits to ensure she understands who holds the power here?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    THis is more about the enduring influence of the catholic church on Irish law and social attitudes Some people would blame the religion for these unreconstructed views.....
    ...and those people would be absolutely right.

Until very recently, Ireland was in large part a theocracy, with vast swathes of public policy left in the hands of foul, red-faced culchie nonces masquerading as men of god. Needless to say, many of those areas involved the care of young children...with predictable results.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

Until very recently, Ireland was in large part a theocracy, with vast swathes of public policy left in the hands of foul, red-faced culchie nonces masquerading as men of god. Needless to say, many of those areas involved the care of young children...with predictable results.
    I'm sure that many priests were and are extremely good people, trying to act in a decent way and follow their faith. It seems a shame to generalise as if they were all guilty. Certainly I have known several Irish priests who had no interest in my genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm sure that many priests were and are extremely good people, trying to act in a decent way and follow their faith. It seems a shame to generalise as if they were all guilty. Certainly I have known several Irish priests who had no interest in my genitals.
    No. Sorry. To me that’s like saying that there were nice members of the Waffen SS. Merely joining makes you an evil, deviant fùck.

Yes, although historically that religion is inexorably tied to their nationalism- indeed their nationhood.
    Admittedly, it has taken far too long to break that historical tie.

Still, they keep a decent drop in every pub. THere is a lot to be said for that

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Yes, although historically that religion is inexorably tied to their nationalism- indeed their nationhood.
    Admittedly, it has taken far too long to break that historical tie.

Still, they keep a decent drop in every pub. THere is a lot to be said for that
    In fact, though, the Church was firmly opposed to the nationalist cause from the Catholic Emancipation Act onwards and worked hand-in-glove with the British in helping to govern Ireland.

The Church goes where the power is.

No. Sorry. To me that’s like saying that there were nice members of the Waffen SS. Merely joining makes you an evil, deviant fùck.
    There. You have become over-emotional and intemperate.

Consider the facts. It is Friday, and there is a cold one with your name on it no more than 4 hours away. The weather is set fair for the weekend; you may decide to enjoy your allotment, or experiment with different emulsion sauces, go for a run, take a walk with the glw and bask in the spring sunshine. There will probably be a lovely movie on TV (I shall be watching my DVD of The Mayor of Casterbridge). You have 3 days of perfect freedom before you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There. You have become over-emotional and intemperate.

Consider the facts. It is Friday, and there is a cold one with your name on it no more than 4 hours away. The weather is set fair for the weekend; you may decide to enjoy your allotment, or experiment with different emulsion sauces, go for a run, take a walk with the glw and bask in the spring sunshine. There will probably be a lovely movie on TV (I shall be watching my DVD of The Mayor of Casterbridge). You have 3 days of perfect freedom before you.
    In fact, we’re off to Paris on Tuesday until Saturday.

Not my idea. If you told me I could never go to Paris again, I shouldn’t be the least bit bothered.