Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This, from your (theoretically Conservative) prime minister.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No. I accept that Tory theoreticians have convinced themselves of this, but that doesn't make it true. The tory vote is emphatically NOT predicated on securing the support of social liberals. Reams and reams of demographic data makes this abundantly clear.

And, while we're at it, let's define our terms. What is a social liberal? Someone who believes that people ought to be left alone to do largely as they wish as long as they aren't doing any harm? If so, I would qualify as such. However, what you're talking about is not social liberalism, but a sort of prescriptive, dogmatic insistence on meeting certain norms defined by left-wing identity politics.
    But the sheer weight behind the prevailing narratives around gender, sexuality, race, etc etc, means the Tories simply have to be seen to be on board with some of this stuff.

And it's also untrue that there hasn't been any push back - the PM herself is happy to proudly talk up concepts of patriotism that are anathema to the left and she has several ministers who are pushing back against things like university safe spaces.

Agree entirely with your second paragraph. I was using the phrase social liberal as shorthand for precisely what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But the sheer weight behind the prevailing narratives around gender, sexuality, race, etc etc, means the Tories simply have to be seen to be on board with some of this stuff.

And it's also untrue that there hasn't been any push back - the PM herself is happy to proudly talk up concepts of patriotism that are anathema to the left and she has several ministers who are pushing back against things like university safe spaces.

Agree entirely with your second paragraph. I was using the phrase social liberal as shorthand for precisely what you describe.
    They think they do, but they actually don't. Blair's period in power did such a good job with the 'nasty party' nonsense that the tories are now terrified of their own shadows - grabbing desperately at any passing cause in the vain hope of impressing people who will never vote for them anyway. The problem is that this is actually serving to alienate them from their core voters - people like me - who want a fiscally-conservative government that protects individual rights.

The daft c*nts will be pondering whether or not to ask Stormzy to sing at their next party conference.